Ishabelle's Reviews > Pack Alpha

Pack Alpha by Crissy Smith

Feb 16, 2017

bookshelves: 4-stars, alpha-males, erotic-romance, paranormal-romance, shapeshifters, super-sexy
Read in February, 2017 , read count: 2

Safety Level: Not safe.
Cliffhanger: No
Ending: HEA

This is my first book from this author. I gambled on this one because there's not that many paranormal romance authors that I truly love, and I believe it's time for me to venture out and find more PNR authors to watch out for. This book was originally released in 2009, but the publisher re-released it July 2016, with some changes in the book. I was really glad that I got the chance to read and review this because it ended up as a solid book that I certainly enjoyed.

Plot-wise, the story was solid. The heroine was a shifter who couldn't shift and has been on her own, without a pack, for a decade because she was banished by her own when she had relations with the Alpha's pack. She was a woman who could never be happy with a pure human, but she also knew that non-shifters were not welcome in the pack (or so she was made to believe). When she gets a letter from her sister, asking her to visit because her sister was going to have a mating ceremony, the heroine was still hesitant because being in a pack meant that it opened the possibility of going through the same hurts again. The hero is the Alpha of her sister's new pack. And this Alpha is all about claiming her. The conflicts that came were surprisingly not from the pack but from some people from the heroine's past.

Romance-wise, I like that their lines weren't cheesy. Yes, it was very obvious that the hero was crazy and obsessive, but he didn't say cliched lines that made me cringe. They were still normal dialogue between two people who are in love. It's an insta-love kind of story, but when you're dealing with shifters who are very in tuned with their animal side, insta-eveything can be expected. The sex scenes were hot and often, but they didn't deter from the main story. If anything, those scenes further intensified the connection between the main characters.

I'm not sure how many installments have already been re-released since last year. What I do know, though, is that I will definitely check out the rest of the books of this series. I find that I really like this book, and I want to know if Crissy Smith is able to maintain that kind writing prowess in the succeeding books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pack Alpha.

02/16 marked as: read