Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)'s Reviews > They Both Die at the End

They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera

4 Stars

(So. Many. Tears.)

This is the second time I've finished an Adam Silvera book with a hollow feeling in my chest and maybe I'm just in love with the pain because something about this emotional writing style hurts so good? A book should always make you feel somethingand this one made me feel a lot.

The writing style is somewhat brisk and dialogue-focused, perfectly showcasing a diverse cast of loveable characters. Outside of the representation this offers (both leads are Latino and in the LGBT+ community) all of the characters were well developed in their motivations and interactions.

Mateo especially broke my heart, as so much of his story revolves around his battles with social anxiety. This was hyper-realistic for for me, and I appreciate the time and attention Silvera poured into this. Mateo is aware of his overthinking to the point where he overthinks the overthinking, but it's not magically cured by love or something he can just stop. But his friends are understanding and love him as he is.

Every character had a great storyline-- Rufus' struggle with anger and letting go of this past, Lydia's attempts to reconcile her self image with being a mom, even the girl working the front counter in chapter 3.

These storylines also do a great job of showing how ingrained Death-Cast is in this world. If there really was a company that predicted death within 24-hours, how would the world change? This book takes a look at the big changes, like in healthcare, to the smaller changes, like new phone apps and job opportunities. It's not quite sci-fi, but definitely speculative fic at it's best.

In honesty, I only had two problems with the whole book:

1. The romance goes from timid kisses to declarations of love very fast. It's all very cute, but I'm dead inside and couldn't help but want to scream "ITS BEEN FIVE MINUTES."

2. There's so much focus on 'living life' instead of just 'existing' and while it is extremely important to not let anxiety or anything else keep you from living your best life... I just don't feel I need to be jumping off waterfalls or making every spontaneous decision to be truly living... ya know?? Especially since this isn't always possible for those of us with chronic illness/ disability. There was so much focus on "don't waste your life sitting at home!" but sometimes you do your absolute best and that's all you can manage, and I don't think that means I'm not living my best life?

Overall:
An interesting, speculative story that manages to remain hyperrealistic and give me all the feels. Even if the main message felt preachy in parts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read They Both Die at the End.

February 16, 2017 – Shelved
February 16, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 9, 2017 – Shelved as: anticipated-releases
September 9, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
April 17, 2018 – Started Reading
April 21, 2018 –
60.0% "I'm still not sure what to make of this? I'm really attached to the characters, but I'm not sure what it's trying to say"
April 22, 2018 –
82.0% "Am I obsessively audiobooking while staying up too-late, drinking too much coffee and crying about my final exams tomorrow? Yes. Yes I am."
April 22, 2018 –
96.0% "Ahhhh, here come the tears"
April 22, 2018 – Shelved as: best-books-i-never-want-to-re-read
April 22, 2018 – Shelved as: broke-my-heart-in-the-good-way
April 22, 2018 – Shelved as: memorable-male-characters
April 22, 2018 – Shelved as: lgbt
April 22, 2018 – Shelved as: speculative-lit-not-quite-sci-fi
April 22, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
April 22, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn What did you think of BvS btw

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Devon wrote: "What did you think of BvS btw"

Very overstuffed. Tried to push ideas and characters without developing them first. There were certainly elements I enjoyed, but I'm not a fan of that portrayal of Lex Luther or the vauge bless of Affleck's Batman. It felt like it was in a rush to catch up with the MCU instead of spending time developing their own groove

Farren I pretty much never cry. But this book... oh man.

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Farren wrote: "I pretty much never cry. But this book... oh man."

Ahhhhh this is going to be an expierence
*stocks up on tissues*

Regina Oh man I love this book so much. It’s one of my personal favorites

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Regina wrote: "Oh man I love this book so much. It’s one of my personal favorites"

It's really great!

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Heritage wrote: "out of five?"

Yep! 4/5!

Banny Carstairs i'm running to check your best-books-i-never-want-to-re-read shelf out.

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Banny wrote: "i'm running to check your best-books-i-never-want-to-re-read shelf out."

It's the shelf of pain/unsettling themes 😭 Enjoy!

message 10: by Margitte (new)

Margitte Love this quote "...stories can make someone immortal as long as someone else is willing to listen.” Great review!

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Margitte wrote: "Love this quote "...stories can make someone immortal as long as someone else is willing to listen.” Great review!"

I love it too! I thought it was a great example of the writing in the story! Thank you, Margitte!