Joseph Thomas's Reviews > Cached Out

Cached Out by Russell Atkinson

liked it
bookshelves: crime
Recommended for: Geocachers, Crime Drama fans.
Read 2 times. Last read February 16, 2017 to February 24, 2017.

Cached Out is my first book by Russell Atkinson. I should note that I listened to the Audio version of this narrated by Joe Hempel, who I also enjoyed listening to narrate Heart of Gold.

Synopsis:
While out Geocaching, Ex-FBI agent Cliff Knowles comes across skeletal remains of a human body and reports it. When it turns out the body belongs to a criminal leader of a drug cartel previously involved in a major drug bust that Cliff had been a part of, but was never arrested. When more bodies start turning up near geocache sites that Cliff had visited, the investigation turns on him as a suspect. To clear his name he has to do some investigating of his own to find the only other person who has also visited the geocaching sites, the owner only known as Enigmal.

Review:
Overall, I found this book enjoyable. Throughout the story, there was enough mystery and suspense to keep me engaged. The cast of characters are all distinct and well done. The story is told from the third person perspective, and while it mainly follows Cliff it does also give the other characters quite a bit of spotlight.

If you are a geocacher, then you may enjoy this book but be forewarned: as with any book about a hobby it goes out of its way to explain practically every aspect of geocaching so that someone who had no knowledge of it would be able to understand and follow along. I can see how this would get old to someone who is very familiar to geocaching. If you do not know what geocaching is, you should check out https://www.geocaching.com/guide/.

OK, now it's time for the nit-picking. While none of these things were huge negatives they are worth mentioning. The biggest problem I had is there are a few parts where it seems some editing was missed. Through most of the book when it comes to the crime drama, it discusses the details about things like investigative procedures and how law enforcement works together it is fairly well done. Once in a while however, there are parts that seem to be lazy or overlooked in editing. While investigating multiple murders connected together, multiple agencies supposedly cannot get a warrant to obtain identity information from a geocaching website because there is no official case?!?! And discussing how to proceed one of the FBI / DEA agents literally says something to the effect of "Yeah, to heck with all the procedures..." (while I cannot find the exact quote this is very close). It made aparent that the Author wanted to drag out discovering the identity of this person, however it could have been more realistically done other ways such as having that person always post from internet cafe's or hotspots making his identity hard to know. At Another point, the FBI agent says to another Investigator "I have some FBI stuff to do". There are a few times like these that feel like it breaks away from a serious approach at crime drama.

Narration: Joe Hempel does an excellent job narrating in this book. All of the voices are disticnt, have character and none feel cringy, which can happen especially often when trying to depict the opposite sex. Such a good job was done with this novel, I have bookmarked other Audiobooks narrated by Joe to listen to in the future.

Disclaimer: This audiobook was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review courtesy of Audiobook Blast.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cached Out.

February 16, 2017 – Started Reading