Aly's Reviews > When the Scoundrel Sins

When the Scoundrel Sins by Anna Harrington

liked it

The last time Annabelle Green saw Quinton Carlisle was the night her reputation was ruined, thanks to him. Even if they only shared a kiss that no one witnessed, a misinterpretation of the situation put her respectability in tatters. Quinn was ready to make what any gentleman should do, but Belle forced her guardian not to push a marriage between her and the rascal. She knew that too much animosity would make them miserable.

Before becoming Lady Ainsley's lady companion at 8 when her mother died, Annabelle didn't have an easy life. Her parents were poor and her father a mean bastard who ended up in prison. Her mother once worked for a Viscount and the man and his wife took young Belle under their wings and treated her more like a daughter than a servant.

Six years after the disastrous ball, Belle learn that she could lose everything again. There's a clause on Lord Ainsley's will who says that Annabelle have to marry before her twenty-five birthday or else, she'll lose the estate. The Castle near the Scottish border is not only her home, but she also work with the tenants and have plan for the residence and the village as well. There's only one month left to find a husband, and the young woman is determined to marry for love. So when Lady Ainsley ask her great-nephews, the wild Carlisle brothers to act as guardian and help to find a suitable husband to Belle, Annabelle have an other idea in mind. But will Quinton accept her proposition ?

Belle knows Quinn since she were ten and she always had feeling for him, whether it was affection or frustration, and Quinton always seemed to delight in teasing the girl. She's still angry and think he's responsible for her ruined reputation, whereas he doesn't agree.

Well, I think that the hero is responsible for me not enjoying the story as much as I should. He doesn't mean no harm, but for me, he lacked a certain maturity that made me feel like he was playing with the heroine's feelings. I feel that even if he can't completely be held responsible for what happened, he should had, at least, aknowledge his part in it and offer excuses to her when she tell him how much it hurt her. And with what happened in the past between them, I wish Belle would resist more easily to Quinn's charm and that he was the one doing the chasing. But I like the heroine's strenght. Destiny or life seemed to prey on her and she always held on.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Scoundrel Sins.

Quotes Aly Liked

Anna Harrington
“-And you, Quinton? Do you enjoy the sport of hunting ?
-It doesn't seem like much of a sport to me unless the animals are also armed.”
Anna Harrington, When the Scoundrel Sins