Judith's Reviews > Farming in the First Millennium AD: British Agriculture Between Julius Caesar and William the Conqueror

Farming in the First Millennium AD by Peter Fowler

In order to understand a culture, fully, one needs to understand how that culture developed. The most basic way to gain this understanding, is to start at the beginning of that culture or society. Agriculture is one of our most basic endeavors. Without the ability to raise (or gather) food, our culture and society would have died out millennia ago.

The first five chapters of this book lays out the framework for the study of agrarian history. We are given a glimpse into the beginnings of this fairly young field of study. We are also presented with the various forms of evidence. In this case, mostly two: archaeological and historical (written records) for the development of agrarian technologies. From there, the author goes on to discuss the changes in landscape wrought by human civilization, the changes in farming technologies, the various crops and livestock, and how various land allotments developed by and into laws.

Overall, once I came to understand the how and why of his methods of presentation, I found this book to be not only very informative, but quite an enjoyable read as well.

Now to plunder his bibliography. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farming in the First Millennium AD.

February 15, 2017 – Started Reading
February 15, 2017 – Shelved
February 20, 2017 –
page 57
14.5% "This is a dense book. So far, in the first few chapters (1 - 5,from inference), the focus has been on laying out the framework for the study and giving a history of the development of 'agrarian history' as a distinct field of inquiry. Once I got used to the professor's style of writing, I'm finding his humor to be quite droll."
February 23, 2017 –
page 105
February 26, 2017 –
page 205
March 1, 2017 –
page 269
68.45% "The actual "text" of this book ends at page 295. The remaining pages are taken up with appendices, a 38 page bibliography and a 27 page index. :) This book is not going back to the library before I copy down a number of titles (from Appendix 1 (Suggested readings by chapter, and the bibliography)! :)"
March 2, 2017 – Finished Reading