Sara 's Reviews > Tall, Dark, and Deported

Tall, Dark, and Deported by Bru Baker

A Tag Team Review with SRAL!

5 Hearts

This book right here is what I love about romance and why I am hooked on the Dreamspun series. I adored this story, my first from the author and I am writing this with a perma grin on my face because I can’t stop smiling. Goodness. This was delicious!

Crawford Hargrave is a serious man. He’s serious about his job, his family and about being as far away from his cheating ex-husband, Davis that he possibly can be. But when his boss assigns Crawford to do an audit on a flagship hotel in Canada and to work with Davis, Crawford has to agree or lose his job. He hates the fact that he will be there for at least two weeks working with Davis and also that he will be away from his brother Adam and his nephew Brandon whom he is close with. When Adam drops a bomb on Crawford right before he leaves, Crawford heads into his assignment with basically, nothing to lose.

Mateus Fontes is a family man, a man who though has a degree in Botany and his own vineyard back in Portugal has been working on his brother’s orchard in Washington on a tourist visa and plans to trick the immigration system so he can stay longer. Mateus’ brother and sister in law love him staying and don’t want him to get in trouble with the law but he assures them, a simple trip to Vancouver and back to Seattle in a day will reset his tourist visa and give them time to ready the orchard properly so they can hire Mateus. With nothing for him in Portugal and a life ahead of him in Washington, he heads to the airport for his round trip with nothing holding him back.

Told from the dual POV of our MC’s the men meet as their shared flight to Vancouver is delayed and then canceled. Over coffee and pretzels, the men begin to get to know one another and on a whim, Crawford suggests they rent a car and drive up to Vancouver so that they can get Mateus to his flight on time and kill a few birds on the trip while showing Mateus a few touristy spots he’s never seen.

Oh. Em. Gee. But this was freaking adorable. I am such a sucker for the fake marriage trope and when the men reach the border to Canada and the whole “Actually, we are engaged” deal happened I was giddy. When they men find out that they have to get married right away, I was stupidly happy and then, when they learn Mateus cannot return to the United States without Crawford meaning they would have to spend Crawford’s work trip together, at the hotel, pretending to be married, I was falling off my chair because my knees were weak with all that was gonna happen.

To say this romance is a slow burn is putting it lightly but it burns with such an undertone of sensuality and UST that I would allow myself to be burned by it repeatedly.

Crawford and Mateus have an instant connection and amazing chemistry that their relationship from marriage to crush to friendship and more, came off the page with such emotions that I spend at least the last 50% of the book with my hand to my chest, sighing with tears in my eyes. These two want so much but with a relationship, a marriage based on a lie they tread the waters of want so carefully as to not take advantage of one another. But I kept telling them it was okay, go on and do it because we all want it to happen. Yes, I was that involved in the story that my opinion mattered regardless if the newlyweds were aware of it on the page. *shrugs*

Goodness but this was so good. It was gooey in the right places with the perfect amount of jealousy sprinkled in to allow the men to get possessive. Mateus and how he deals with Davis were a pure joy to read and Crawford’s natural and spontaneous instinct when it comes to Mateus is swoon worthy. Even though there are road bumps these men face along the way, they come to a wonderful conclusion and connection that had me in happy tears at my desk.

That end? Perfect and swoon worthy and just cinematic and so damn romantic.

Yup, this one was so good and I am so happy I read it.

Let me go attempt to wipe this grin off my face now.

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tall, Dark, and Deported.

February 15, 2017 – Shelved
February 15, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 17, 2017 – Shelved as: unicorn-reads
March 20, 2017 – Started Reading
March 27, 2017 –
13.0% "Wow. Crawford has basically nothing to lose and Mateus has basically nothing to go back for. Well then, let's get this meet on, shall we?"
March 28, 2017 –
37.0% "“That is so kind of you, but I have plans for my husband tonight.” Mateus’s voice was like velvet, making it clear that those plans he so glibly referenced were definitely not for public consumption. He ran a proprietary hand up Crawford’s back and down his arm, twining their hands together.

HA! I adore Mateus!"
March 28, 2017 –
52.0% "LOL! Totally Los Angeles!!!

“It barely rains, and when it does all hell breaks loose because everyone drives like it’s the apocalypse.”"
March 28, 2017 –
88.0% "Goo. We have goo. Sigh. This is delicious. Just, lovely."
March 28, 2017 – Shelved as: boys-who-love-boys