Trevor's Reviews > Piecing Me Together

Piecing Me Together by Renée Watson

13662036

bookshelves: tlb, 2017, ya

PIECING ME TOGETHER is a lovely quick read about a girl trying to find her own place in the world. I enjoyed Watson's THIS SIDE OF HOME last year & am even more impressed by TOGETHER. Watson makes strong female characters & I loved Jade, this book's MC.

Jade lives with her single mom & uncle E.J. in Portland, Ore. & goes to a predominantly white school. She is a bright student, getting A's & tutoring many peers. Jade is an artist & her goal in life is to travel the world, hence learning Spanish & attempting to get a scholarship. She decides to join Women to Women to attain this, as well as wanting to know how to balance a checkbook, seeing other artists, etc. Very smart girl.

Her mentor Maxine isn't what Jade had in mind: Maxine is focused on her ex-boyfriend Jon & always seems to be somewhere else while she's supposed to be "mentoring." This is one of the things Jade is stuck between by either talking about it or staying silent.

Besides this book having a strong voice on race struggles & opportunities, Watson makes Jade a body-positive character, as Jade describes herself as being thick but doesn't have a negative view about it. Bo-po is always welcome in YA. Jade also has other major obstacles, other reasons for her to learn how to stand & speak up for herself. Watson does a fantastic job of this, showcasing a young woman who decides not to give up on herself. Who decides not to quit because she would only be hurting herself. This is just one of the powerful messages to take away from here.

Another thing I loved about this book is that there is no romance!! This solely focuses on making a voice for yourself & following your dreams, even if there are roadblocks in your path. I think that's real important to show, that you don't NEED to be involved in a romantic relationship just to be (whatever). Instead, there are views of family & friendship & it was just really, really nice to see. I only wish it was longer, but it wrapped up nicely.
Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Piecing Me Together.

February 14, 2017 – Shelved
February 14, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 1, 2017 – Started Reading
March 1, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
March 1, 2017 – Shelved as: tlb
March 1, 2017 – Shelved as: ya
March 1, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Ashlight (new) - added it

Ashlight Grayson Thanks for your review. Made me want to read the book even more!

Trevor Ashlight wrote: "Thanks for your review. Made me want to read the book even more!"

I'm glad, Ashlight! Thanks for your comment.