Ashley Holstrom's Reviews > Braced

Braced by Alyson Gerber

bookshelves: body, sports, read-harder, middle-grade, fiction, ebook, 2017, favorites, reviewed, galley

It's about time we got a modern scoliosis story. (Sorry, Judy Blume. I love you and Deenie, but times have changed.)

Rachel Brooks just started seventh grade and has to wear a back brace. As she figures out how to function with a big, awkward turtle shell, she also deals with normal teenager things like friends and boys and soccer and dances. And bullying. Her mom went through the same thing at her age — and had surgery for it — and the "You're so lucky; I had it so much worse" grates on Rachel. The brace makes common things more difficult, but it also helps her deal with her problems head-on. Just because her torso is in a shell doesn't mean the rest of her needs to be covered up. She stands up for herself and kicks ass on the soccer field.

Braced brought back so many memories I didn't know were still locked away in my brain about my time as a 13-year-old with new metal in her spine and a plaster brace to keep her safe. It's the perfect portrayal of this twisty-turny time so many teenage girls go through.

From The Best Books We Read in March 2017 at Book Riot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Braced.

February 14, 2017 – Shelved