Meagan's Reviews > A Crown of Wishes

A Crown of Wishes by Roshani Chokshi

Mar 01, 2017

Chokshi has a way of writing that leaves you feeling as if you really have just left a dream.

Crown of Wishes is a beautiful companion novel and does so much justice to an ethereal world I fell in love with in Star Touched Queen.

I loved that Gauri was so fierce. I love that she self identified as a beast and a monster. I love how SHE learned what she needed to do for herself and that she gave herself the time and the space to do that. Even her weakness was ultimately her strength.

Vikram was a just so much fun! I love him being there as almost a foil to Gauri. You definitely saw his strength but you saw how different it was from the traditional dashing prince, and definitely how different it was from the beastly Gauri. I just loved their relationship and I love the fact that these characters were allowed to be themselves and not charicatures.

I think if Chokshi really does one thing well, it's make characters feel real. Not once did I feel like I was reading a YA that was for the daydreams of the author. These people were real. They existed. And sometimes they weren't great people and they had flaws and they ruined things, but they exist and they are real and Chokshi has a great way of breathing that life into them.

So the stories feel like dreams, but the people feel like reality. Great job!

Also: thanks for making me stop reading several times because your ideas were just SO AMAZING that they made me stop and rethink literally everything i've been writing in my own pet project book. Good books make you realize how bad yours is sometimes and this one REALLY did that to me. Absolutely beautiful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Crown of Wishes.

February 14, 2017 – Started Reading