Jasmine from How Useful It Is's Reviews > Seven Days of You

Seven Days of You by Cecilia Vinesse

bookshelves: netgalley, contemporary, young-adult

About: Seven Days of You is a fiction novel written by Cecilia Vinesse. It was published on 3/7/17 by Little Brown Books for Young Readers, 336 pages. The genres are young adult, contemporary, romance, Japan, etc. This book is intended for ages 15 and up, grades high school sophomore to college level. This novel is the author’s debut!

My Experience: I started reading Seven Days of You on 3/5/17 and finished it on 3/19/17. This book shouldn’t take me that long to read but there are so many books I want to read that the decision to stick one is really tough. Anyway, this book is an interesting read. In this book, readers will follow the point of view of Sophia aka Sofa Wachowski, a junior at T-Cad, an English speaking international school in Tokyo, Japan. She is one of among many classmates at the school where they often relocate to different countries due to their parent’s career. Sofa has lived in United States, Japan, and France, but was born in Japan. It’s definitely interesting to read about people living in different places.

“I think you choose where you belong, and those places will always be there to remind you of who you are. You just have to choose them.” 55%

Seven Days of You revolves around Sofa having only 7 days left in Japan before having to move back to USA because of her mother’s job. She has 3 best friends to have fun with, Mika, Caroline, and David. She crushes on David for many years. Then Jamie, who used to hang out with the group leave Japan to attend boarding school in USA announces his return. Sofa has some ugly history with Jamie before he left so she’s not too happy to know that he’s back. One of the ugly history was Jamie’s crush on Sofa, got jealous witnessing Sofa flirting with David, and sent a hurtful text about Sofa meant for Mika but Sofa received it instead. Ouch. I know.. But when Jamie comes back, he’s less geeky and more noticeably attractive. In the meantime, Sofa also has other issues to deal with, besides her overwhelm crushing life, she has to come to terms with her long distance father, leaving Japan for good, and the drama with her friends. This book is packed with emotions and drama and figuring out where home is.

“And now that I’d noticed it, I couldn’t un-notice it. I couldn’t imagine paying attention to anyone else if he was in the room.” 64%

I enjoy reading this book. I like how all the different characters from many different countries come together due to their parent’s job. It’s interesting when Sofa couldn’t say she’s Japanese even though she’s born in Japan but how her dad was born in France and her mom was born in Poland, but her mom moved to New Jersey when she was a baby so that makes her American and Sofa has relocated to America for a number of years as well. This technicality is actually interesting to me. I like that the author brings out the experiences of Tokyo in this book. I was born in Vietnam and Karaoke is huge there too. I have been to Karaoke rooms in Vietnam so reading this part of the book brings back memories for me. I like that the author have a mixture of relationships in this book, many of it might be more broken than happy, but it’s what many teens deal with. This book might be too much drama and moody for me, but I still highly recommend the read because this realistic contemporary is closely resemble to real life.

Pro: Karaoke, friendship, romance, language barriers, international school, diverse, easy to read, fast pace, Tokyo Japan

Con: teen drama, teen moodiness,

***Disclaimer: Many thanks to the author Cecilia Vinesse, publisher Little Brown Books for Young Readers, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review. Please assured that my opinions are honest.

xoxo,
Jasmine at www.howusefulitis.wordpress.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Days of You.

February 14, 2017 – Shelved
March 19, 2017 – Finished Reading
September 27, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley
January 9, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
May 20, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, Jasmine :)

Jasmine from How Useful It Is Thanks Deanna :-)