Zuky the BookBum's Reviews > You Don't Know Me

You Don't Know Me by Imran Mahmood

bookshelves: dnf, 2017

DNF @ 63%

I'm so disappointed to be putting this book down as a DNF but I just couldn't get on with it. The synopsis for this is reasonably vague and so I had created an entirely different story in my head to the one that was presented to me on paper.

First of all, I imagined this book was going to about a sophisticated, charming yet narcissistic type character, a Patrick Bateman of sorts, who was going to try to woo us and prove his innocence. If you've read the book, I'm sure you'll be laughing at what I thought this was going to be like, because holy heck, it's nothing like that at all. The character we meet is a young man from South London who talks like this: now blood, there is seven evidences against me but I'm gonna prove them all wrong, you get me?

The entire book is written in this colloquial way and my God, it just did not compute for me, at any point. I'm a white girl who's lived in Buckinghamshire for most of her life, this kind of language and way of talking is so far beyond me it's unreal. And maybe that makes me closed in to the world but what am I supposed to do? To me, this "street" way of talking is just another accent to me, and like I can't read books that attempt to write in the Scottish accent, I can't read a book that attempts to write in the "street" accent. It does not compute in my little head, OK?

The writing wasn't the only problem for me, the other issue was the actual plot. What could have been such an excellent, unique story, turned out to be a long, boring, babbley mess.

For me, personally, there was nothing about this novel that made me want to continue reading it. I physically can't push myself to finish this one... What a let down.

Thanks to Netgalley & Penguin UK - Michael Joseph for giving me the opportunity to read this in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Don't Know Me.

February 14, 2017 – Shelved
February 14, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
June 20, 2017 – Started Reading
June 20, 2017 –
15.0% "I can't get on with the colloquialism in this already. It feels so clunky to read and, honestly, speech like that really gets on my nerves. That probably sounds so prissy white-girl rude and I don't mean it like that. It's just like how some people don't like the Scottish accent... I don't like the "street" way of talking"
Finished Reading
June 21, 2017 –
June 21, 2017 –
41.0% "Lol mentioning Aylesbury as a little rich town. I went to school these but I don't remember it being a "little rich town""
June 23, 2017 –
54.0% "I'm so not feeling this"
July 4, 2017 – Shelved as: dnf