Ciara White's Reviews > Bright Eyes, Brown Skin

Bright Eyes, Brown Skin by Cheryl Willis Hudson

bookshelves: book-shelf, text-set-race

“Bright Eyes, Brown Skin” is a fictional story of 4 little children who love themselves from head to toe. The story follows the African-American children throughout their day at school. I picked up this book because I love the message behind it. It illustrates young children embracing who they are and feeling comfortable in their own skin. However, I found this book to be overly simplified. I feel children would be uninterested because the book lacks intriguing language and a storyline. No problem is presented in the story. The book provides no background for the characters. The only relatable element of this story is being African American. The illustrations are well put together. They correspond well with the text and add personality to the characters. If anything, the pictures hold my interest more than the actual story line. The story does not represent a variety of cultures nor did it discuss different perspectives. This book focused purely on African American students. The characters are relatable in aspects to their physical appearance and their experiences in school. It is unfortunate that readers gain no insight to outside lifestyles of the characters. The children do not even speak in this story. Both the author and illustrator are African American which I do enjoy because I believe representations are more accurate when the story is created by its own members. As I stated earlier, this book has a good message behind it and was written with good intentions, but it lacked a sense of interest and missed out on gaining my attention. This story would have been more enjoyable had the author included more details pertaining to the characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright Eyes, Brown Skin.

Finished Reading