Jewel's Reviews > True Colors

True Colors by Anyta Sunday

bookshelves: z-2017-100-199, contemporary, mm, review-copy, four-point-five-stars

4.5 Stars

Once upon a time, there were two best friends. They grew up together and though they each felt more than friendship toward the other, as they got older, teenagers are sometimes very stupid and say things they don't mean in order to hide how they feel. And it's never easy to come back from that.

Marco already believed what Oskar said, before he ever said it -- that is why it hurt so badly. That is why Marco never believed that Oskar didn't mean it. That is why saying he was sorry was never enough. So after 9 years of friendship, Marco shut the door and hid behind the hurt and the anger.

Four years have past, though, and Oskar is back. He wants to make amends. He wants to tell Marco how he feels -- how he's always felt. Marco, though, is still deeply hurt and angry that he still cares.

Betrayal is a hard thing to forget.

Told in first person, present tense, from Marco's POV, True Colors is the story of Marco and Oskar. It tells how Marco learns to let go of things that cannot be changed, how he learns to accept himself, and how he learns to let Oskar in again.

I felt so bad for Marco -- losing his mother, being scarred by the accident that killed her (mentally and physically) and feeling so alone. Marco was afraid to show anyone his body because he felt so ugly. And the one person that really mattered lost his trust.

And Oskar really didn't mean what he said. It was stupid and hurtful and he has spent the last four years filled with regret and wanting only his Marco. He tried to move on, but it's only ever been Marco that Oskar has wanted.

True Colors is a friends-to-enemies-to-lovers story done right. The hurt, the UST, the feelings that were still going strong. All of it.

-------------------------------
ARC of True Colors was generously provided by the author, via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Colors.

February 13, 2017 – Shelved
March 5, 2017 – Shelved as: mm
March 5, 2017 – Shelved as: review-copy
March 6, 2017 – Shelved as: four-point-five-stars
March 6, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Renée Lovely! All this.

message 2: by Ele (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ele *snif* Very well said. It reminded me of rock a little bit. Maybe because of the melancholic tone.

message 3: by Jewel (last edited Mar 06, 2017 12:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jewel Ele wrote: "*snif* Very well said. It reminded me of rock a little bit. Maybe because of the melancholic tone."

Yeah, it did a bit. I did tear up a time or two.

message 4: by Jewel (last edited Mar 06, 2017 12:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jewel Renée wrote: "Lovely! All this."

Thanks! Now I need another. :)

message 5: by Ele (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ele I'm reading nest soon.

Jewel Ele wrote: "I'm reading nest soon."

I enjoyed that one, too. Not quite as much as rock, but it had a similar feel, too. I think you'll like it.

message 7: by Christelle (new)

Christelle Sounds really good !!! Fab review, Jewel !

Jewel Christelle wrote: "Sounds really good !!! Fab review, Jewel !"

Thanks, Christelle! It really was a wonderful story :)

message 9: by Christelle (new)

Christelle Jewel wrote: "Christelle wrote: "Sounds really good !!! Fab review, Jewel !"

Thanks, Christelle! It really was a wonderful story :)"

I kinda like this idea of "feelings colors" !! should be interesting :-)

message 10: by DW (new)

DW Lovely review, honey!! :)

Jewel DW wrote: "Lovely review, honey!! :)"

Thanks, DW! It was a lovely book!

message 12: by Lisazj1 (new)

Lisazj1 Great review Jewel, this sounds like I'll be shedding some tears.

Jewel Lisazj1 wrote: "Great review Jewel, this sounds like I'll be shedding some tears."

Thanks, Lisa!

message 14: by Christelle (new)

Christelle Lisazj1 wrote: "Great review Jewel, this sounds like I'll be shedding some tears."

Oh, you're a softy, Lisa !! I will hand over tissues if needed. Care for a BR if you want ?