Kristin's Reviews > Home Improvement: Undead Edition

Jul 28, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, short-stories, series, reviewed, read-in-2011
Read from July 28 to 29, 2011

This collection was a bit disappointing, not as good as I remember Death's Excellent Vacation being. I think the main disappointment was that the new Sookie story was a bit of a let down. It didn't feel like it fit in the Sookie-verse, plus there wasn't a single vamp to be found. Many of the stories were related to series I haven't read, but they were still complete enough to give me a sense of the world. One that really stood out was Suzanne McLeod's "Full Scale Demolition," which featured elements of Celtic and Greek mythology. Very good. The absolute creepiest was Rochelle Krich's "Squatters' Rights." I can't begin to describe how much my skin was crawling while I read that story, and for hours afterward. One really great aspect of the collection was the variety of creatures (vampires, wizards, weres, fae, pixies, kelpies, lamias, ghosts, zombies, etc.) and cultures (Celtic, Jewish, Greek, Vodou, Chinese, etc.). It was really very well-rounded.

Despite my mostly positive remarks here, however, I was left with an overall "eh" feeling about most of the stories. It was okay, just not my favorite ever. (I think the Sookie disappointment might be largely responsible.) Still, a well-assembled collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home Improvement.