Alexa's Reviews > Island of Exiles

Island of Exiles by Erica Cameron

This book... is just... incredible. It begins so simply, not quite a “Oh, look, another magic-ridden high fantasy” feel, because it does have a very epic, even almost chilling start, but it doesn’t feel like it’s going to be as mind-blowingly phenomenal as it actually is. That comes on slowly—yet the story was never boring. It begins with a simple but strong story stake, then builds and builds and builds on that, one shocker plot twist at a time, until the end result is something completely other than what the beginning suggested. Everything is different; nothing is at it seemed. And each step further into the complexity of this story, the tension draws tauter and tauter, pulling you deeper and deeper, until you’re riveted, glued to the page, body tense, stomach swirling, heart stopped... waiting to see what’ll happen next (I know because I spent a solid hour in that position as the climax hit). The intricacy to the layers in this story is absolutely stunning; I honestly don’t think I’ve seen a book quite like it. Something similar? Sure. In the same vein for one characteristic or another? Definitely. But something exactly like this?

Never.

I can’t wait to see what happens next.

If you'd like to read more of my thoughts on this book (for instance, my opinion on the characters and the romance), you can find the full review on Verbosity Reviews.

Note: I voluntarily reviewed a free ecopy of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Island of Exiles.

Started Reading