Ryan's Reviews > The Maxx, Vol. 1

The Maxx, Vol. 1 by Sam Kieth

This wasn't my first read through The Maxx; I read a lot of the issues when they were individually released in the mid-90s, and I had fond memories of the book from what I could remember.[return]It's a superhero book, but superheroes from a completely novel perspective. Kind of like if Camille Paglia, an Australian aborigine, Carl Jung, and Bill Watterson (creator of Calvin and Hobbes) got together to create a superhero. The story follows Julie Winters, a 'freelance social worker' who looks after The Maxx, a homeless vagrant who thinks that he's a superhero. At the same time, however, it's also the story of The Maxx, the greatest hero of the Australian dreamland Outback, who must protect the Jungle Queen (who looks like she could be a 'freelance social worker') from evil.[return]Heavily influenced by feminist philosophy (as is all of Keith's independent work), as well as showing influence of Keith's work with Neil Gaiman's Sandman, this is superheroes that require you to pay close attention to what you're reading.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maxx, Vol. 1.

Finished Reading