Ryan's Reviews > Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1)

Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1) by Greg Keyes

Mar 31, 2008

Read in June, 2007

One of the things that I initially really liked about the NJO series is that the Yuuzhon Vong were completely and utterly alien - that we weren't given any real introduction to them, and didn't know what they wanted. While that was good for the initial novels, it wouldn't be sustainable over the course of the full cycle of novels, so the Edge Of Victory duology comes at a perfect moment.[return]Basically, with this book, we learn a lot more about the culture of the Vong, and we explore how the Jedi are affecting the Vong. I'm always hesitant when sci-fi stories feature 'warrior cultures', so it's good to see that they have a more varied culture than that (because let's be honest, a culture devoted entirely to warfare would be unsustainable, and would also never develop proper spaceflight technology, as well). The only downside to this book, I would say, is that the Vong biotechnology is a little too deus ex machina - it seems that they can grow whatever they need, whenever they need it, and that reduces some of the tension from the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1).