C.G. Drews's Reviews > Peter Darling

Peter Darling by Austin Chant

Feb 15, 2017

bookshelves: 4-star, read-2017, ya-male-narrators, young-adult, retelling

I'm such an intense little Peter Pan nerd I only need to see the words "PETER PAN" and "RETELLING" and I am there like an overenthusiastic puppy ready to eat it. And this one was really cute and heartfelt and I liked it! It just suffered from being so short it didn't really have time to make the world/characters complex. So like I felt it barely scratched the surface of this fantastic premise WHICH MAKES ME SAD. And it was rushed. And it threw in so many action scenes that I couldn't really get to know the characters.

But did I mention it was frikkin adorable?! BECAUSE YES.

It reads more like a "sequel" because everyone is grown up and back at Neverland. I did like this! But I also have no idea if it's YA or not because the characters were like 20...but they felt like they were 12 still. That's the problem with keeping the original tone/style of JM Barrie's version: those were kids. I couldn't really get my head around 20 year olds acting like Peter and Hook did and being so childish and naive still. I mean, sure they were against growing up, but still. The blurb also indicated the book would ACTUALLY BE DARK...but it actually wasn't dark. Sure people get knocked off, but it's really...not...dark. Hm.

But YA KNOW...I always felt Hook and Pan should get together. So finally. A book that speaks truth. I also liked the twist on the original of how it combined Pan/Wendy and was also a trans story. (I believe it's #ownvoices too?) All the scenes where Peter was finding out he was a he not a Wendy were written so emotionally and were so raw and poignant. Like HELLO I'M HAVING EMOTIONS (saith the Vulcan) so this was just so well written.

And there were little snatches of humour. Which just makes me a big fan. Like please, let's stab each other and then kiss and then stab and then have crises about adulting.

However NOT a fan of the idea that they needed to grow up. What is with that. No one wants to adult. (view spoiler)

ALL IN ALL: it was incredibly cute, heartwarming, and full of stabbtatasticness. I just did think it'd be darker than it was (going off the blurb) but it went more for the lighter/romantic fluff side. And it was too short to really develop the characters. BUT HEY. I'm still a fan because Peter Pan!! (Dude that rhymes and someone award me.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peter Darling.

February 12, 2017 – Shelved
February 12, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
February 14, 2017 –
64.0% "First they stab each other. Then they think each other looks cute. WHAT A LOVELY STORY THIS IS."
February 15, 2017 – Started Reading
February 15, 2017 – Shelved as: 4-star
February 15, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
February 15, 2017 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
February 15, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
February 15, 2017 – Shelved as: retelling
February 15, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Inkling (new) - added it

Inkling Reviews Wait, does Peter turn into Wendy and replace her?

Churin Thanks for the thorough review Cait!

Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net Great review Cait! I can't wait to read this. :3

PaperTigerMaddy BWAAAAA dis sounds AMAZEBALLS

message 5: by Tandie (new) - added it

Tandie Pan's got the hots for Hook? Dang!

message 6: by Tandie (new) - added it

Tandie I'm going to read. I admit to being a bit confused about trans (hey, I watch almost zero television) all I know is the Bruce/Caitlin Jenner story I read in a magazine at my Dr's office. Is Peter a male identifying as female/Wendy? Maybe reading will help me understand it better.

message 7: by Tandie (new) - added it

Tandie Question: I read that the author writes erotica. Does this have a bunch of super descriptive sex? Cuz that's not my cuppa.

C.G. Drews @Tandie: If you don't know what transgender is, I'd recommend going and doing research on it and reading up on experiences and stories by transgender individuals. :) And there's no erotic sex in here.

Lady Cain I'm glad you enjoyed it! I looooved it, I was sobbing shoujo-tears at that sugar ending and Hook's letter.

message 10: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn The cover reminds me of the Neverland Wars by Audrey Greathouse

message 11: by Tandie (new) - added it

Tandie Thx for the answer, I know it was an odd question. I live in Wyoming, USA. Smaller towns. Despite the lack of diversity, people here are quite accepting of one another. I was worried when we moved here that it'd be a bunch of small minded cowboys, Footloose style! Most people are transplants from other states moving here for jobs (like my fam) and it creates a kindness vibe. Blah blah blah...sorry for the biography.

Anyway, I think it's important to understand others if for no other reason than to avoid giving offense. My motto is BE KIND. My husband was a missionary in Japan for several years & informed me that OBJECTS are oriental, PEOPLE are Asian. This was 20+ years ago, but I remember being horrified, wondering if I'd ever offended one of my coworkers!

As I'm a social hermit, I gain most of my outside world knowledge from reading. I avoid people-ing as much as possible! I do love interacting with my GR peeps, it's nice to chat minus the anxiety. Thanks for being one of my friends :)

Penelope Thanks for your review! Now I want to read it :)

Harker I don't know about cute, more like ripped my heart out. ;_; But it was really good! :D