Ellery's Reviews > Urban Forests: A Natural History of Trees in the American Cityscape

Urban Forests by Jill Jonnes

For tree lovers, this book reads like part thriller: horror and dread as the author details the loss of millions of American trees over the past century, most notably the American chestnut, elm and ash as foreign invaders decimated our tree canopy.
But then we have a call to action as the book enables you to see the empty (and as the book details, health-impacting) urban spaces as potential spaces for tree planting. And each citizen must get involved, watering their trees, advocating for trees as public policy and maintaining the trees, as well as being on the lookout for the Asian Long-horned Beetle.
As a quote at the end of the book says, "Quick, name a climate solution for cities which helps lower carbon emissions, protects vulnerable people who live there, and even helps students get better grades? Give up? The answer is urban forests, and you're not alone if you didn't come up with the answer. After all, most of us see trees as woven into our city streets as just a pretty, cinematic backdrop for urban life."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Urban Forests.

February 11, 2017 – Started Reading