Jennifer Rayment's Reviews > American Gods

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Once again after finishing a truly brilliant novel I am at a loss to find the words to express my love of the work in question. Jen recommended this book to me years ago and finally got around to reading it and so glad I did. This novel is quite unlike anything I have ever read before, which doesn't surprise me as Gaiman is one of the most original writers around. Gaiman has a gift for creating worlds and characters that are out of this world, yet so familiar and life like. Now, I cannot lie, some of his writing is far above my intelligence level, but eventhough I may not understand some of the inner meanings and analogies, the story itself shines through for me to enjoy. The characters are unique, multi-layered and sprout some truly delightful dialogue. The plot - well, trust me, you will never know what will happen next. The basic moral of the story being about the struggle between tradition and modern innovation. Was going to go into more about this but I want you to experience it for yourself. Highly recommend this to anyone who likes something truly original.

Favourite Quotes/Passages

"There's never been a true war that wasn't fought between two sets of people who were certain they were in the right. The really dangerous people believe they are doing whatever they are doing solely and only because it is without question the right thing to do. And that is what makes them dangerous."

"What I say is, a town isn't a town without a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but unless it's got a bookstore, it knows it's not fooling a soul."

“There's none so blind as those who will not listen.”

“Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.
"Fuck You," said the Raven.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Gods.

January 11, 2017 – Started Reading