Trin's Reviews > An Abundance of Katherines

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Jun 12, 2007

bookshelves: fiction, science, american-lit

Former child prodigy Colin Singleton has two problems: one, he doesn't think he's really turned out to be a genius so much as a guy with a super-absorby brain and a passion for anagrams; and two, he's been dumped by nineteen different girls named Katherine, and the latest, Katherine XIX, has really broken his heart. To try to solve this problem, Colin's best friend Hassan decides that they should go on a road trip—which they do, though it ends abruptly in the small town of Gunshot, Tennessee, a community supported entirely by a factory that makes tampon strings and that is supposedly the final resting place of Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

I clearly want to continue describing the plot, because it is just so crazy and fun. This whole book is wonderful, everything that The Beautiful Miscellaneous should have been but wasn't: it's funny, it offers a great look at the unique way Colin thinks—including FOOTNOTES and DIAGRAMS!—and is lively and original—a book deserving of a genius. I loved it a lot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Abundance of Katherines.

Started Reading
June 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
June 12, 2007 – Shelved
June 12, 2007 – Shelved as: fiction
June 12, 2007 – Shelved as: science
November 26, 2008 – Shelved as: american-lit

message 1: by Shelley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shelley I know I've seen this at work and was intrigued. I'll have to hunt it down; it does sound like fun.