Deatri King-Bey's Reviews > Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet

Black Panther by Ta-Nehisi Coates

bookshelves: favorites

Growing up, I absolutely loved comic books. I know, it’s a “boy” thing, but oh well. I was and will always be a proud Tom Boy. Why I stopped reading comic books for pleasure is beyond me. Now that I think about it, I know why: joined the Army, got married, had children, went to college…. Life happened.

When I began pleasure reading again, I went to novels and didn’t get back to my love of comic books until I heard they were bringing the Black Panther back and Ta-Nehisi Coates would be the author. I’ll admit, I was a tad bit worried at first. I’d come to know him as a serious non-fiction writer and journalist. More on that in a bit.

In A Nation Under Our Feet, T’Challa (Black Panther) returns to Wakanda to find his country under terrorist attack by a group of supernatural beings. Needless to say, the government in turmoil and his people struggling to survive. This type of thing does not happen within Wakanda boarders—at least it didn’t use to. Now T’Challa must adjust to this new reality while fighting to unite and save his people.

All I can say is I worried for nothing because Ta-Nehisi “Did that thang!” Those of you who know me know I love to color. I appreciate the skill it takes to be a graphic artist. Brian Stelfreeze & Chris Sprouse brought their “A” games to the illustrations. I love, love, love the Black Panther series. I enjoy my monthly trip to the comic book store for each issue.

Deatri King-Bey

#CillasBookManiacs

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Panther.

Finished Reading
February 11, 2017 – Shelved
February 11, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Dera (new)

Dera Great review.

Deatri King-Bey Dera wrote: "Great review."

message 3: by Priscilla (new) - added it