Nancy's Reviews > Abandoned America: Dismantling The Dream

Abandoned America by Matthew Christopher

bookshelves: photography
Read 2 times. Last read February 10, 2017 to February 19, 2017.

I have been eagerly looking forward to Matthew Christopher's second photography book and it did not disappoint. As a fan of his for years, I thoroughly enjoyed his previous book and what he choose to showcase, and I was also entranced with this book's contents.

Christopher chose to highlight thirteen locations- some a single building, others a campus, and finally the city of Gary's blighted landscape. What made this book stand out was his lengthy descriptions of what he knew of each location. His well written and researched essays contributed mightily to the book, for not only does he take magnificent photographs, his written work elevates it. The locales that I found most interesting were the Taunton State Hospital, the Catskill Game Farm and the Fort Pitt Casting Company. Amid dozens of outstanding pictures, the two page spread of sunrise on the crumbling campus of the TSH (page 42-43) was especially beautiful and haunting, while the two pictures of nature invading parts of the Fort Pitt structures (pages 136-137) were atmospheric and lovely. I also was pleasantly surprised that Christopher showcased Vulture City, a ghost town in Arizona, and featured a different region than he usually visits.

I am more than happy to give this book a well deserved five stars, however I would be remiss in not pointing out that there were typos in the text that were distracting. Plus, while I admire the effort he put into his investigations, a bibliography of where he obtained his main sources would add scholarly weight to his excellent research.

I look forward to Christopher's next book and will continue to visit his website, Abandoned America (http://www.abandonedamerica.us/), regularly. In the meantime I can continue to admire both books and ponder modern society's relationship with our past and what we do (and do not) hold dear and what that says about us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abandoned America.

February 10, 2017 – Started Reading