Dan Schwent's Reviews > The Last Place You Look

The Last Place You Look by Kristen Lepionka

bookshelves: 2017, 2017-books, pants-shittingly-awesome

When Roxane Weary takes on a case to find a woman that's supposedly been dead for fifteen years to clear her incarcerated boyfriend's name before he's executed, she's in way over her head. Can Roxane put her alcohol problem and her pain over her father's death aside long enough to crack the case?

Every time I try to quit accepting ARCs, something like this falls into my lap. Thanks again, karen!

I've been out of the detective fiction game for the past few months for the most part. Once you read a couple hundred crime books, everything starts seeming the same. Then a gem like this comes along.

The Last Place You Look stars Roxane Weary, a woman reeling from her cop father's death, coping by drinking a small ocean of whiskey. Between an ex-lover named Catherine that continuously toys with her to her current companion, her deceased father's partner, Roxane's life is a train wreck. She's just the type of girl you can count on to keep a man from getting executed, right?

Roxane reminds me of some unholy offspring of George Pelecanos's Nick Stefanos and Sara Gran's Claire DeWitt. If only she spent as much time detecting as she did throwing back slugs of whiskey... I kid. I loved Roxane, from her complex relationships with her family members to her questionable taste in sex partners.

In between black out drunks, she finds time to get wrapped up in quite a case. What seems like one murder ages ago winds up being quite a bit more. Roxane goes through both physical and emotional wringers multiple times on the way to one of the better crime fiction endings I've read in a long time.

One of the hallmarks of a great crime book, for me, anyway, is when the author makes me feel like a rube when the big reveal comes. I thought I had the killer pegged really early but that turned out to be a read herring. I pondered the title while cooking dinner and still didn't tip to who the killer was. Well done, Kristen. Well done.

I don't have a single bad things to say about this book. I'm greatly looking forward to reading more of Roxane's drunken escapades in the future. Five out of five stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Place You Look.

February 10, 2017 – Shelved
page 240
71.43% "So fucking good"
March 1, 2017 –
page 270
80.36% "Yup, she got me. Probably a 4.5 provided she sticks the landing."
March 1, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-books
March 1, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
March 1, 2017 – Finished Reading
September 6, 2018 – Shelved as: pants-shittingly-awesome

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Anthony (new) - added it

Anthony Vacca Sold. You really should dive further into the Lew Archer series. Each book in the series get increasingly better and moves further away from the Chandler mold. By the time you hit the Doomsters and the Galton Case, the series hits "holy shit!" levels of good. And Macdonald is ingeniously good at hiding the identity of his killer so that the ending of his books are always incredibly memorable. You can definitely see the influence of Archer on a character like Scudder.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Yeah, Archer is on my list. Along with a lot of others.

message 3: by Nicki (new) - added it

Nicki Love your review Dan,I have just required this one :-)

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Nicki wrote: "Love your review Dan,I have just required this one :-)"

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it.

karen woohoo!!! you're welcome! i loved this one!

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent karen wrote: "woohoo!!! you're welcome! i loved this one!"

Me too! Now the agonizing wait for the next one begins.

karen the downside of arcs....

Elizabeth you convinced me. i'm in.

message 9: by Supratim (new)

Supratim Nice review!

message 10: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Elizabeth wrote: "you convinced me. i'm in."

You won't regret it!

message 11: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Supratim wrote: "Nice review!"

Thanks!

Melissa "Roxane reminds me of some unholy offspring of George Pelecanos's Nick Stefanos and Sara Gran's Claire DeWitt." *swoons* I've got to get my hands on this one.

message 13: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Melissa wrote: ""Roxane reminds me of some unholy offspring of George Pelecanos's Nick Stefanos and Sara Gran's Claire DeWitt." *swoons* I've got to get my hands on this one."

I can't imagine you not enjoying the shit out of this.

Melissa Dan wrote: "Melissa wrote: ""Roxane reminds me of some unholy offspring of George Pelecanos's Nick Stefanos and Sara Gran's Claire DeWitt." *swoons* I've got to get my hands on this one."

I can't imagine you ..."

I'm asking my library system to buy it, fingers crossed. It sounds perfect.