Robin's Reviews > Magpie Murders

Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz

bookshelves: 2017-pub, mystery, best-of-2017

At first I assigned this four stars, but upon thinking more about how clever this was, changed it to five-stars.

This was a terrific mystery and anyone who loves a good locked room/country house classic story will love this.

But wait! There's more! Did I say "mystery"? It's actually two mysteries in one! The first story is set in an English city during contemporary times but quickly turns into a cliffhanger and switches to an earlier time in a small village where a woman has died by falling down the stairs in a locked manor. Then just as the detective starts to disclose the murderer, the story returns to the contemporary story where by the end both murders are solved neatly and completely.

Brilliant and intricate writing contribute to swell endings that I (and no one I know who read it) saw coming. I'll be the first to admit I don't always have the patience for involved plots, but I thoroughly enjoyed this whodunit that is clearly an homage to Agatha Christie.

Those who have loved the Golden Age of mysteries (Christie, Sayers, and Doyle) will want to read this as soon as it's published. I predict it's going to be a huge summer hit.

Thanks to HarperCollins for the advance reading copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magpie Murders.

February 10, 2017 – Started Reading