books are love's Reviews > Chameleon

Chameleon by Zoe Kalo

Received in exchange for honest review.

In simplistic words: surreal, creepy in its imagery (not a bad thing) and just yup surreal really.

Zoe Kalo uses imagery to give us some amazingly gothic and creepy imagery especially her description of the angel statue and when seeing Rubia with Madre Superiora. We have so many secrets, so many surreal moments and yet the gothic creepiness has your skin itch in a good way. Where knowing too much may just get you killed.

Each of the five girls have very distinct personalities and yet will remind you of the movie heathers. One has control and one fights her. One manipulates and the others follow but not always willingly. Rubia is the leader but she is also to me diabolical. She has a way of manipulating situations and having people question themselves and others see things in a different way. She is a chameleon that is dangerous. All these girls in their own way are chameleons. Maria was the kind one who had guilt. Silvy the one who stabbed others in the back but haunted by her past and manipulated by Rubia due to her desire to be free from her past. Even Madre Superiora is manipulated by Rubia- the head nun isn’t a evil woman just one with mistakes and lots of love. She can manipulate don’t get me wrong but it is the why that is disturbing. Atelina is the meek timid one who sees things others don’t. She sees spirits and learns things this way. Paloma is the one who resists. She calculates but to survive. at times she questions her sanity and self and you will to for ZOE Kalo writes scenes that will manipulate your thoughts and have you wonder. But she is the stronger one in the end. She has lost alot and in a way manipulated by so many but she does take control of her world.

The story takes place in a school where the nuns can be cruel. Secrets are abound and manipulation is rampant. We have great scene building that ups the creep factor and mystery surrounding all that is happening. The waterfall is creepy as all get out especially with how Kalo builds it up. The ending wow but I would love to know what happens next. I mean Paloma is a heroine or does it turn around on her? Rubia? What happens after? It leaves you hanging and wondering.

A creepy wonderfully scene building written story that has you engrossed in this gothic story with girls that are caught in their own worlds, manipulated and pushed to the edge at times while seeing what is truly happening around them and you feel their fear, and secrets drown them. A truly alluring story that has you hanging on every scene and moment to see what will happen next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chameleon.

Started Reading