Dorothée's Reviews > Dawn

Dawn by Elie Wiesel

Jul 27, 2011

bookshelves: novels, books-i-own
Read on August 04, 2011 — I own a copy

Just like 'Night', I read this book in one sitting. It's captivating and brilliantly written. Wiesel immediately sets the almost surreal and stifling tone that pervades throughout and draws the reader into the mind of a man pondering the execution he must carry out at dawn. Everything, all thoughts, emotions, images are so detailed and vividly describe the bleak landscape that forms the conscious and mind of a soon to-be murderer. Similar to 'Night', 'Dawn' is written without hesitation or elaborate flash-backs, creating a kind of 'stream of conscious' that draws on the interplay between the external atmosphere and inner thoughts, thereby making one a mirror and extension of the other. Despite the absurdity and complexity of the protagonist's thoughts and experiences, the text is very clear and easy to follow, proving that simple language does not denote simplicity of content. Because the novel is rather short (approx. 100 pages) and only takes about an hour or two to read, I'd recommend reading it in one go to fully become engrossed in Elisha's state of mind leading up to the execution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dawn.