bjneary's Reviews > Shooting Kabul

Shooting Kabul by N.H. Senzai

bookshelves: historical-fiction, multicultural-fiction, ya
Read 2 times. Last read July 21, 2011.

I sooo loved this book! A great book for middle/jr high as well as high school for its depiction of a Muslim family fleeing the Taliban in Afghanistan after 9-11. Fadi and his family have tried to stay in their beloved country but the war has driven them from their home. Fadi's father, Habib, has paid the last of their money to flee their homeland. Fadi's family is close-knit, loving, and care deeply for each other. Fadi's mother, Zafoona, is ill and his sister, Noor, is helping her escape and Fadi is responsible for Mariam, his little sister. It is when they are leaping from one truck to another, that the Taliban attacks, and Mariam breaks away to pick up her doll, that Fadi loses his grip on his little sister. Once the family reaches safety in the United States, they try to locate their precious family member, in whatever way they can. Fadi begins school in a country very foreign to him, but he makes friends and also experiences bullying because he is Muslim. What I really enjoyed was how Fadi mentions his favorite book, From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, and how he relates to Claudia and her escapades in the museum. Fadi loves photography and uses his father's camera which took many a picture in Kabul. It is this love of photography that inspires Fadi to join a school contest in which the winner will win a trip---and Fadi is determined to win that trip and return his lost little sister to their heartbroken family. Fadi has so many things against him but he also has determination and with his new found friend, Anh, they both hope to bring Mariam home---but, will they succeed? This such a great book, great characters, believable plot, and the themes of belonging resonate in each chapter of this wonderful book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shooting Kabul.

Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
Started Reading
July 21, 2011 – Finished Reading
July 27, 2011 – Shelved
July 27, 2011 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
July 27, 2011 – Shelved as: multicultural-fiction
July 27, 2011 – Shelved as: ya
July 27, 2011 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Elisabeth (new) - added it

Elisabeth This was mentioned in an SLJ article today (http://www.slj.com/2017/03/diversity/...) and with the references to From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, I HAVE to read it now.

bjneary I have read quite a few on here if you want to know my fave recommendations, let me know:)

message 3: by Elisabeth (new) - added it

Elisabeth Definitely! I'm always up for more books. :)

bjneary Middle school - LAI, Thanhha. Inside Out and Back Again & her other title too, Listen Slowly.
YA The Good Braider and The Sun Is Also a Star.
Others not in that I loved All the Broken Pieces by Ann Burg
Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
Anything by Margarita Engle!
Deborah Ellis' books - Kids of Kabul, Children of War
Never Fall Down by Patricia McCormick,
Happy Reading!

message 5: by Elisabeth (new) - added it

Elisabeth Thank you! Adding to my ever growing TBR list. Just had cataract surgery and now I can SEE again. Being able to read again is the best!

bjneary Oh wow, I am so happy for you and we all know reading is the BEST❤