Rose's Reviews > The Strain

The Strain by Guillermo del Toro

liked it
bookshelves: vampires

On my very long list of genres I'll read, on the very bottom are vampires. I don't dislike them but very few bend the genre enough to make it stand out from the rest. No one will ever come close to what Matheson did with I Am Legend.

What I did really like was that del Toro gave a reason behind the vampires. They came from somewhere right? He filled in the blanks on what made the vampires what they are. He didn't go back more than a few hundred years so you don't know how it all began but I'm certain he must get further into the history in the next instalments. Otherwise it's just a bunch of people and vampires trying to kill each other and that doesn't make for much of a story in my opinion.

I can see where this would make a good movie. It had a lot of action and gory scenes. Probably a better movie than book. If you love vampire stories, then I recommend you try this one. It was written well. If they aren't your favourite, then skip this. Good but not much new here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strain.

February 9, 2017 – Started Reading
February 9, 2017 – Shelved
February 13, 2017 – Shelved as: vampires
February 13, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Jane I watched a couple installments of the TV show last year (the year before that?) after I read the book and I have to say it was pretty close to the book. They managed to convey the suspense & then the horror of that airplane on the runway at JFK that starts the book.

Rose I haven't seen the show but I can imagine it comes across quite well visually. That first part where they are around the plane while it's still on the tarmac reminded me of a show I watched years ago. It may have been X-Files. Same thing - everyone on board was dead but there was some evil thing in the plane

Guillermo  I think that was a Fringe episode, Rose.

Rose Good memory! I just went and looked up Fringe and it was the very first episode.