Kris's Reviews > A Court of Mist and Fury

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

May 07, 2017

bookshelves: owned, new-adult, read-2017, fantasy, 5-star, best-2017

WORDS. I CANNOT FORM WORDS RIGHT NOW. OH MY FRACKEN EVER-LOVING PLUMS GOD. Oh my God. RTC

Review update 5/30/17:

THIS PROBABLY HAS SPOILERS BECAUSE IT'S THE SECOND BOOK IN THE SERIES I AM GOING TO TRY MY BEST TO MARK THEM BUT BEWARE. I'VE WARNED YOU.

OKAY SO I AM FINALLY SITTING DOWN TO TRY AND REVIEW ALL THE THINGS I WAS SUPPOSED TO REVIEW but was an irresponsible fool and did not.

*cracks knuckles* Let's do this.

I really had no interest in reading this for a looooonng time. I tried to read ACOTAR about 3 separate times before I actually read the whole book. It was very slow for me in the beginning, and I was having a hard time connecting to Feyre at all. I had heard amazing things about ACOMAF and decided I should at least give it a chance.

This is possibly one of the better decisions I've made in my life as of late. I loved this with every piece of my silly human soul. It was just, I don't know. I can't English properly about book. So, I'm just going to take this sentence to transition awkwardly into the things that I loved about this book.

-The characters were SO FLIPPING LOVELY I love every single one of the people in the inner circle. Each and every fracken one of them. I love Mor and how sunshiney and happy she is, but she can also kick some serious fae ass when it comes down to it. I love Amren SO MUCH OMG. I have so much respect for this woman. She is a creepy and stabby blood drinker. How can I not. Answer: I CANNOT. Cassian's immense level of snark and sass is what I live for. I love how dark and brooding Azriel is. I love that he's a fracken spy master. I WANT TO BE A SPY MASTER THANK YOU. Also, the fact that Rhys's 2nd and 3rd in command are Amren and Mor is just great. GREAT I TELL YOU. Oh and obviously I just appreciate Rhys for everything he is. Oh, and to Feyre, thank you for actually being an epic bad ass this time around. I no longer am bored and annoyed by you.

-We got some more political development/information on Prythian! I really appreciated this. I like that we got to know more about some of the other courts, although MORE still would have been better, but I'm glad we got a bit. (Also, I love Tarquin).

-The NIGHT COURT/COURT OF DREAMS IS SO PERFECT. I am a night person. I appreciate the stars. In fact, I look to the big dipper like every single night because it feels like home to me. A familiar thing when I am feeling unfamiliar with myself. It grounds me. Also, I always used to imagine having a little cottage on the connecting "lines" of the big dipper right in the crook of it. Yes, I am weird, but I love the stars. I love them.

-As someone who has suffered with PTSD, I very much appreciate the portrayal of Feyre's PTSD. The nightmares are something I can personally relate to. They are consuming, and they totally do have the power to completely overtake you physically (like Feyre vomiting every night). I love the fact that what she went through under the mountain was not simply brushed under the rug. You can't forget something like that. OF COURSE it's going to have an impact like that. So, the PTSD accuracy really meant a lot to me.

-THE ENDING OMG I WAS SO CONCERNED BUT HOLY PLUMS. That was fantastic. I loved it. Lovelovelovelovekfoafshfkashgkfr it omg.

-Utterly quotable. If you've read this, I'm sure you know exactly the ones I'm referring to.

While I absolutely adored this book, it was, of course, not without its flaws.

There is a lot of controversy surrounding Maas regarding the lack of diversity in her books. I have not personally read any of TOG, but I can say that this series has been definitively lacking. I think she was maybe trying to include POC, but was so vague about it I can't really tell. When she says brown, I don't really know what she means?? This is frustrating. Just be outright about it!!

Feyre's lack of self-defense was so frustrating. I wish she had been able to fight for herself and her emotions against Tamlin without it being (kind of) after Rhys has said things to her about how she always has a choice and she's nobody's pet and such. It would have been a lot more empowering if she had come to that conclusion on her own I think. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad she FINALLY stood up for herself and Tamlin's behavior was eventually seen as abusive by Feyre, I just wish she had realized that on her own.

There was a sad lack of Lucien. I loved Lucien in the first book. He and that weird intriguing high lord of the night court were what kept me going in the first book. I wanted to see him more, and not feel so bad about when we did see him.

But I digress. I loved this book. That is all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Court of Mist and Fury.

February 9, 2017 – Shelved
February 9, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
May 3, 2017 – Started Reading
May 3, 2017 –
page 42
6.71% "well, THAT was quite the entrance"
May 3, 2017 –
page 140
22.36% "I DON'T WANT TO STOP BUT I HAVE TOOOOO"
May 4, 2017 –
page 204
32.59% "why must I be sleepy NOW?"
May 5, 2017 –
page 306
48.88% "warning: MAJOR FLIRTATIOUS ALERT"
May 6, 2017 –