Lula's Reviews > Dreams From My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance

Dreams From My Father by Barack Obama

bookshelves: memoir, autobiography, oxy

The reviews I have perused are about people's feelings about their projections of what Obama means to them. Reviewers are sharing their feelings about the symbolism of Obama, and not reviewing the book. And as a symbol - wow - what a wide variety of feelings from far extremes he represents.

Thirteen years ago I read this out of curiosity. We just weren't sure what he would have to say. At the time it wasn't exactly a bestseller. But it was worth checking out to see if I recognized anyone. He managed to have something to say and to say it without sounding like a callow youth. Although most people don't write their memoirs when they graduate from law school. That is usually just the beginning. He must have always had his eye on the ball because he managed to write an entire book about himself without really revealing too much. He concentrates on the parts of his story that deal with issues, and manages to write a fairly didactic, even boring story. Which considering how colorful his life was remains quite an accomplishment. But the book holds up through the years as 'presidential' quality, and the didactic quality lends maturity to the writings of a young man.

And now he is a public figure, so we'll never read about his mischievous and free spirited days, at least not from himself. Maybe he should have been a writer instead. He could have honed his craft a bit, edited out a ton of this book, and added some fun bits. But that would have been another story, about another man.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreams From My Father.

Started Reading
January 1, 1995 – Finished Reading
March 31, 2008 – Shelved
May 25, 2008 – Shelved as: memoir
May 25, 2008 – Shelved as: autobiography
May 25, 2008 – Shelved as: oxy
June 26, 2017 – Shelved (Audio CD Edition)
June 27, 2017 – Shelved as: ebooks-calibre (Audio CD Edition)
June 28, 2017 – Shelved as: ebooks-calibre-1 (Audio CD Edition)
June 28, 2017 – Shelved as: ebooks-calibre-a (Audio CD Edition)
June 28, 2017 – Shelved as: ebooks-calibre-1 (Audio CD Edition)