Mary Drover's Reviews > Spaceman: An Astronaut's Unlikely Journey to Unlock the Secrets of the Universe

Spaceman by Mike Massimino

bookshelves: space, favorites, nonfiction

I enjoyed this so much. And I know I say that about every astronaut biography, but this is actually one that I think non-space fans would also enjoy so much. Mike Massimino is my first Hubble astronaut to read about. Usually, they’re either ISS or Apollo astronauts, and I didn’t know that Mike wasn’t a space station one going in, so it was really cool to realize about midway that I was going to be learning a lot of new stuff! I always learn new stuff, but I’ve read a few ISS astronauts, so I was ready for the usual setting, but nope, Hubble is an entirely different animal. This autobiography follows Massimino from the early days of running around his backyard in an astronaut costume with his space Snoopy to his last mission fixing the Hubble telescope.

I liked it for a lot of reasons, but perhaps most importantly, there was no toilet chapter! I cannot express enough how sick and tired I am of reading about how male astronauts need a condom to pee. I don’t care. I don’t want to hear about it, especially when it’s accompanied by the usual nonsense regarding sizes. You’re all stupid. Massimino, thankfully, gave us a chapter about food and sleep instead, and I really appreciated that. I also related to it a lot more. He’s a super funny guy, and the writing showed that really well. This is an enjoyable story, and it comes across that way. It’s not all numbers and hard-to-pronounce science terms. It’s goofy at times, it explains things in simple English, and it takes a solid moment to remind us how small and big we are at the same time. My favorite scene was definitely when Mike is outside for the first time and he realizes that the Earth is a planet, and that he’s in a spaceship. It was adorable, and I totally understood what he was getting at.

This is definitely going up there with my favorite astronaut biographies. It’s also the last one I currently own, which is just the saddest thing in the world, so fingers crossed I get a couple for Christmas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spaceman.

February 8, 2017 – Shelved