Mary Drover's Reviews > The Last Man on the Moon: Astronaut Eugene Cernan and America's Race in Space

The Last Man on the Moon by Eugene Cernan, Don Davis

bookshelves: space, nonfiction

Oh, this was absolutely delightful. This is right up there with Mike Massimino's biography, which I read and loved last year. It's not at all bogged down by technical jargon, and Cernan's got a very light, funny voice. He was one of the twelve men that walked on the moon, and flew on Gemini 9 and Apollo 10 before commanding Apollo 16. This, unlike every other biography I've read, almost exclusively discusses his time with NASA. We only get a very tiny background before he's selected to be an astronaut, and a single chapter for after he left the program. He touches only briefly on the different tragedies and successes during his time at NASA, but mostly focuses on what he was doing, which lends to a very personal, very engaging story. Overall, I took my time with this because I didn't want to leave him behind, and I immediately watched the documentary upon finishing. I also highly recommend the documentary as Cernan's story unfolds differently, and the visuals are just excellent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Man on the Moon.

February 8, 2017 – Shelved
July 17, 2019 –
page 103
July 18, 2019 –
page 159
43.21% "Note to self: Don't read about astronauts struggling for their lives and not complaining one bit while at work where people sitting on their asses at computers ask dumb questions all day."
July 21, 2019 –
page 205
55.71% "I am enjoying this immensely, but I’ve just reached the Apollo 10 mission, so I have to go to bed because I’ll need to read that in one go."
July 22, 2019 –
page 249
67.66% "The amount that I am enjoying this book is ridiculous.

They say don't judge a book by its cover, but man, I judged this book, and Cernan, by its title so bad, and I need to sincerely apologize for that. I thought he was a pretentious asshole, "last man on the moon" whatEVER, and I feel SO BAD NOW. Cernan is a truly wonderful man, and I am so honored to be reading his story."
July 23, 2019 –
100.0% "What an absolute joy this book is. I can't wait to watch the documentary!

Review to come."