Becky's Reviews > Wizard and Glass

Wizard and Glass by Stephen King

Jul 27, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy

I have read reviews that say Wizard and Glass is boring and unnecessary because it focuses on Roland’s back story - well I completely disagree with those reviews! Delving into his past gives us (and his fellow travellers) an insight into why Roland is the way he is - and having spent much of the first three books seeming aloof and unfeeling, it’s nice to see a different side to him. The book is anything but boring, in fact I quickly became completely and utterly absorbed by the goings-on in this hauntingly-described barony by the sea; the love story between Roland and Susan, Roland’s friendships with Cuthbert and Alain, the plotting, the subterfuge, the ultimate horror and tragedy… I even had a little tear in my eye towards the end, not when Susan meets her death (let's face it, we knew that was coming), but when Roland breaks down and sobs on Susannah's shoulder after she, Eddie and Jake find out what happened to his mother. In my opinion, this is the most beautiful and memorable book in the series so far.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wizard and Glass.