Ashley Lauren's Reviews > The Baller

The Baller by Vi Keeland

did not like it
bookshelves: audio-book, 2016

Ugh. No.

Look - this book had a lot of potential. What's not to like? Super hot and talent football player and equally hot and talented reporter fall for each other. Let's make it happen.

But man - in the end, what WASN'T wrong with this book? Okay, so here are the reasons why I, personally, pick up a book like this (in no particular order).

1) For the laughs
2) For the sex
3) For the characters/story

If it can grant me, honestly, even one of those three, then I'm pretty happy. If it can give me one of those three without irritating me with other things, then I'm really happy. This book didn't do ANY of it in the end.

Let's review:
1) For the laughs - there was some serious potential here. I mean, a cocky, sexy football player? and when he first meets the reporter he drops his towel? That scene made me laugh for sure. It was perfectly awkward. Annnd that was pretty much the only time I laughed in this whole book. The rest of the jokes were just blah. I mean, Brody made a joke about wanting to "eat" Delilah like 100 times. Original. Not.

2) For the sex - the sex sucked. No really - I know you think I'm joking, but I'm not. It really, really sucked. First off, it was dragged way too far out and when they finnnnally bumped uglies it was just that - ugly. It was rushed and didn't even make a lot of sense physically. And that was probably the best sexual encounter of the book. Most of it was just glossed over, to be honest with you. At one point the author literally said "many hours and multiple orgasms later" - uhhh, HELLO? I don't pick up a book with THAT cover to have you skip that shizz! Light it up, lady!

3) For the characters/story - this genre doesn't always have the greatest reputation for characters and stories and I'll admit, sometimes I'm okay with generic or cliche if it means I get numbers 1 and 2. But It still has to WORK. Ultimately, this book was just sigh-worthy. First off, cocky and arrogant Brody fell way too hard and way too fast. I mean, honestly, why? Apparently Delilah was love at first sight? Even though we later learn he was still hung up on his girl-next-door-druggie-whatever-that-was? That was a stretch.

Regardless, Brody was just a shell of the 'perfect' guy. Hey, ladies, I'm super hot and arrogant but oooh wait no I'm really super sweet and caring and do everything perfectly. Gah. The attractive cockiness dissolved into stupid one-off (not funny) comments and we were just left with a super sensitive man with muscles. Boring.

And don't even get me started on Delilah's mess of humanity. She made no sense. At ALL. I mean, Delilah was doing a sex 'cleanse' but then claimed she didn't ever have sex with anyone without being in a relationship first? Uuuh, okay? Then he can't be with Brody because she never gave up on her old fiance we died? I mean, I guess but that only came up halfway through the book. And what was the point of her fear of flying? No point. None. I kept thinking it was going to matter but it didn't. It didn't even matter for a funny scene. Stuff like that really irritates me in stories. Make people's quirks matter!

I'm not even going to mention how the book ends. Not the last real chapter and not the epilogue. I was ROLLING my EYES so hard they almost popped out, I swear.

There is more I can complain about, but I'm going to leave you with my one really big, HUGE, issue with this book. There is no FOOTBALL. NONE. A couple of stats are thrown out here and there but otherwise we see NOTHING. And the man plays (and wins!) the damn SUPER BOWL.

I just. I cannot. Stop before you start here, people.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Baller.

February 8, 2017 – Shelved
February 8, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
February 8, 2017 – Shelved as: audio-book
February 8, 2017 – Shelved as: 2016
February 22, 2017 – Started Reading
February 22, 2017 –
20.0% "The male narrator in this story is awwwwwful"
February 23, 2017 –
50.0% "ugh, this started kind of cute. It's going downhill quickly."
February 24, 2017 – Finished Reading