ambsreads's Reviews > Under Rose-Tainted Skies

Under Rose-Tainted Skies by Louise Gornall

bookshelves: contemporary, favorites, mental-health, romance, young-adult, best-covers, books-i-own

4.5

TRIGGER WARNING: self harm.

WARNING: this review will get super personal, if you're not interested in that I suggest skipping it.

“I'm being forced to challenge ideas that have kept me safe for so long. There's an entire library of information in my head, and suddenly I can't decide if any of it is worth reading.”

Under Rose-Tainted Skies was an amazing book. It was similar to Everything, Everything but better. It felt a lot more realistic than Everything, Everything and had what it was lacking - a character who doesn't change purely based on a boy and a supportive circle of people. I just enjoyed this so much.

The story is from the perspective of Norah, a girl who has agoraphobia, OCD and anxiety. Not so fun for the typical teenager. As someone who was diagnosed with anxiety, depression and PTSD I found it amazing to see thought processes I have every day going through the main characters mind. My whole life I have been called both a hypochondriac and a drama queen because of how my brain wants to keep me safe. I don't branch out. I stay in a bubble and I will always think my options through if it is a dangerous scenario - this is something I'm getting with purely because my friends put me in situations that make me uncomfortable. Norah had a similar thought process of mine, processing all the worst possible case scenarios - even if they are unrealistic. I have never felt so completely represented in a book before.

However, I did have a small problem with this book. It felt that, in some way, it invalidated the fact that self-harm can be represented in other forms apart from cutting. The mum and Dr. Reeves are very open to it, but Norah was incredibly close minded and it was slightly frustrating. I'm about to get personal, so get ready, but when I would self-harm during my anxiety attacks I would scratch my skin till it bled or rip chunks of my hair out. It grounds me. Norah did something similar where she would scratch her skin until she bled, Dr. Reeves points out this, is in fact, self-harm and Norah doesn't agree because "it fades in a week."

This was my only problem, though. I loved all the characters. I felt so giddy while reading it. I loved the dynamic between both Norah and Luke. It was just such a sweet story and ultimately did have an amazing representation of mental health, in my opinion. I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under Rose-Tainted Skies.

February 8, 2017 – Shelved
February 8, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
February 20, 2017 – Started Reading
February 20, 2017 –
15.0% "The anxiety that Norah feels is so damn relatable for me personally, takes me back to when my mental health was at its worst."
February 20, 2017 –
17.0% "there's been like three scenes with Luke and you bet I'm in love"
February 20, 2017 –
67.0% "MY HEART IS SO FULL"
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: contemporary
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: romance
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: mental-health
February 20, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
February 20, 2017 –
81.0% "GOD DAMN CONTEMPORARY DRAMA STOP HURTING ME LIKE THIS"
February 21, 2017 – Shelved as: best-covers
February 21, 2017 – Shelved as: books-i-own
February 21, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

♡Alexandra♡ Ooo sounds really interesting. I'll definitely have to read it some time soon!

message 2: by Daniela (new) - added it

Daniela Ark's Bookiverse Thank you for sharing a part of you and for the great review!

ambsreads ♡Alexandra♡ wrote: "Ooo sounds really interesting. I'll definitely have to read it some time soon!"

I highly recommend it!

ambsreads Dragonfly wrote: "Thank you for sharing a part of you and for the great review!"

Thank you so much!

message 5: by Nadhira (new) - added it

Nadhira Satria as someone who self harms, is this book triggering?