Steven's Reviews > The Girl in the Tower

The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden

bookshelves: urban-fantasy-paranormal, netgalley-or-publisher, fantasy, read-in-2017, historical-fiction

I'll begin by saying thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I'm not a historical fiction fan. Occasionally, I can get into it, but not often. Books like this one though, with the hints of magic and deeper moments than many authors are capable of (so many are "oh, info dump about history, here you go!"), really make me want to try harder.

I mentioned in my review for book one, The Bear and the Nightingale, that when I first requested it based off of the description, I was disappointed to learn that it was not a standalone and was in fact the first of a trilogy. I also mentioned that by the end of book one, I was beyond happy that it had worked out that way... well, I'm still thrilled, because it means I get one more book, one more story in this world, one more adventure with one of my favorite heroines of 2017 - Vasya. Seriously, she's everything a good character should be -- strong but vulnerable, brave, smart, flawed, deep, and fiery. She's got the badass thing down pat.

I can't rave enough about Vasya or the depth and beauty of these two books. Give them a shot, even if historical fiction isn't really your thing. They have a fantasy element that kicks it up a notch, and they're beautiful, timeless, powerful stories about how one person can truly make a difference in her world, and how living life the way you're told isn't always the path you should take. Unless it means listening to me telling you to read this. That's one command you need to heed!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Tower.

February 7, 2017 – Shelved