Karli's Reviews > Life in Suspension: La Vie Suspendue

Life in Suspension by Helene Cardona

Feb 21, 2017

Read 2 times. Last read February 21, 2017.

Once again, Helene Cardona has dazzled me with her mastery of language(s) and her unique ability to find balance between the discourse of the corporeal world and the spirit world. But where Dreaming My Animal Selves celebrates the wild spirit, Life in Suspension hits the pause button on the restless soul and offers a glimpse into the churning psyche that propels it.

Where Cardona writes "to live is to persist in pain," we also see evidence of what this persistence looks like. Perhaps it looks like building "a cottage for the spirit," or "the promise of new beginnings." Or perhaps this persistence is in our ability to evolve - to not just live and persist in the pain, but to learn from it and gather it close to our hearts as we would an intimate secret - to breathe in pain, and breathe out wisdom."

My favorite poem of the collection is titled Winter Horse, where Cardona proclaims "I dream for a living --- / glimmer at the edge of life, / a clock with many hands. It's a beautiful way to conceptualize the intersection of the body and spirit. We are constantly measuring our lives by minutes, seconds, hours, days, etc, but the spirit can take many forms and is ultimately timeless. Perhaps this is why we see so many mentions of God in the collection. Whether God is presented as a concept, a spirit, a ghost, or a deity, Cardona has truly channeled the divine and elegantly captured a triptych of existence: "I walk on all fours, / elongated, neither human or animal, / a creature you only see in magic." There is indeed magic in this collection.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life in Suspension.

February 7, 2017 – Started Reading