Irena's Reviews > Paris for One and Other Stories

Paris for One and Other Stories by Jojo Moyes

liked it

Paris for One is collection of two novellas and 9 short stories.

My favorite story (or I should say novella) was Honeymoon in Paris. It is a standalone novella, but is also connected to Moyes' full lenght novel The Girl You Left Behind. 80 pages long, the story follows two couples placed in different time, separated by 80 years, who's stories together make a whole. Even though I really liked it, I think I would appreciate it even more if I have read the novel.

Paris for One is second best in this collection.
It is fun and easy to read, but I think it would be better if the story was set in 90's, because characters were really bad when it comes to communication. If there were no mobile phones, the story would make more sense.

Other two stories that I really enjoyed were Between the Tweets and Crocodile Shoes.

As for other pieces, I think they were put into this collection just for sake of having enough stories for the whole bind up.
Some were forgetable (Love in the Afternoon), some were there so Jojo Moyes' fans would have something new to read, and one was so.... silly and ridiculous (I don't mean it in a good way). The story I'm talking about is Holdups. I really didn't like that one.

I don't want to sound rude here, but I'll say this anyway: some stories sounded like someone's practice writing, so I couldn't help but wonder if they were written before Moyes found her voice, before she became a successful writer.

To be fair, when it all comes down together, I think three stars rating is realistic.

I would recommend this collection to fans of Jojo Moyes.
If you haven't read anything by her before, and you come upon this book, I would still recommend four stories I mentioned as my favorites. It would be a shame not to read them, if you already have a chance to do so.

Read this and more reviews on my blog: http://bookdustmagic.wordpress.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paris for One and Other Stories.

February 5, 2017 – Started Reading
February 7, 2017 – Shelved
February 7, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Wonderful review, Irena!! :D

Irena Thank you, Jessica! :) xx

message 3: by Candace (new)

Candace Fantastic review, Irena! :)

Irena Candace wrote: "Fantastic review, Irena! :)"

Thank you so much, Candace! :)

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Awesome review, Irena! ;) xx

message 6: by P (new)

P Awesome review, Irena ! I didn't know that this author released a new book :)

message 7: by Alp (new)

Alp Great review, Irena! xx

Irena Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦ wrote: "Awesome review, Irena! ;) xx"

Thank you so much, Arianna! :D

Irena P wrote: "Awesome review, Irena ! I didn't know that this author released a new book :)"

Thanks P! :)
It is a collection of her stories, I think it's something that was released for her fans, so they'd have sth to read while anticipating another novel.

Irena Alp wrote: "Great review, Irena! xx"

Thank you Alp! :) :*

message 11: by Ana O (new)

Ana O Nisam pročitala ni jednu knjigu Jojo Moyes. Ne znam što čekam :)

Irena ♕Ana♕ wrote: "Nisam pročitala ni jednu knjigu Jojo Moyes. Ne znam što čekam :)"

Ja sam procitala samo Me Before You i bila mi je dobra, ali nista spektakularno kao sto ju drugi uzdizu.
Cula sam da je The Last Letter from Your Lover jako dobra, tako da ju mislim procitati (jednom).