Ann Marron's Reviews > The Railway Children

The Railway Children by E. Nesbit

F 50x66
Jul 27, 2011

The Railway Children was my favourite book as a child, and after reading again as an adult, it is staying firmly in my favourites pile. A wonderfully written book, it tells the story of the Waterbury family who move to “The Three Chimneys” after their father is falsely arrested and jailed on suspicion of being a spy for the Russians. Life changes dramatically for the three children in many ways. They leave their comfortable home and life for a small cottage along a railway. They are forced to become accustom to being poor, to the point where they can only have either jam or butter on their bread, not both. The children fall in love with the nearby railway and the routine of passing trains becomes a great comfort to them. Many of their adventures take place on the railway, as the children’s quick thinking and ingenuity prevent a tragedy from occurring on the lines, their generosity makes a young father very happy and their perseverance results in their father’s release.
Although written in 1906, this book has lost none of its charm appeal over the decades. A timeless classic, this book holds its own against all modern day children’s literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Railway Children.

message 1: by Alison (new)

Alison Thanks Ann. I'd totally forgotten the name of the family and their house! Please link to the UEL PGCE group's reviews!

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Marron I posted the link on the page ... sorry it took me so long, i completely forgot how to do it for a few minutes!!