PorshaJo's Reviews > The Dew Breaker

The Dew Breaker by Edwidge Danticat

bookshelves: books-i-own, challenge, challengereads-2019

One of the things I love about GR is discovering new authors and new books. One day I happened to read a review of The Dew Breaker, both an author and book I never heard of before. I was interested. A number of days later I went to my library book sale and came across this book and snatched it up. Didn't even think twice about it. Then, it sat on my shelves for two years. Finally, the day came and I picked it up and I was hooked.

The Dew Breaker is a series of stories of various peoples lives in various times and locations around the world. But they are all linked together in some small way. By The Dew Breaker, or those who break the serenity of the morning dew. It is the nickname given to a group of torturers in Haiti long ago. But one man stands out as 'the Dew Breaker'. A man who did unspeakable things to people a long time ago back in Haiti. Torture, murder, and left them scared for life. But seeking refugee, and a place to hide and escape what he did, he now lives in New York. Trying to lead a very quiet, peaceful life with his wife and daughter. He works as a barber. But the people we learn about via the various stories, once again, cross paths with the Dew Breaker(s), and are haunted by their past. It's a slow burn of a story but one that comes together in the end. Some stories go back to Haiti long ago where people tell of their encounter with the Dew Breakers or present day in NYC where people see him, and go through that pain and trauma all over again. But the man himself, is he trying to redeem himself for his past sins.

I really liked this story. Since it was a series of linked short stories, I was able to read a story, put it aside and come back to it when I had time. Issues with reading too many books at once. But I'm glad I read this and want to read more by this author. Perhaps it was timing I finally picked this one up as the author has a new book coming out this summer and I'll be grabbing it first chance I get. This time, I'm reading it straight thru, no delays so I can savor the writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dew Breaker.

February 7, 2017 – Shelved
February 7, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
December 23, 2018 – Started Reading
February 16, 2019 – Shelved as: books-i-own
February 16, 2019 – Shelved as: challenge
February 16, 2019 – Shelved as: challengereads-2019
February 16, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

message 1: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Great review PorshaJo!

PorshaJo Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Great review PorshaJo!"

Thank you Kaceey!

message 3: by Luffy (new)

Luffy Good for you for having found such a complimentary book, PorshaJo.

message 4: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong This sounds great PorshaJo! Fab review.

PorshaJo Luffy wrote: "Good for you for having found such a complimentary book, PorshaJo."

Thanks Luffy! It's always great when you find a book like this. And now a new author for me to read her books.

PorshaJo Susanne wrote: "This sounds great PorshaJo! Fab review."

Thanks Susanne! I thought this was a short, interesting read and I'm looking forward to more by this author.

message 7: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Jackson It's so exciting to find brilliant new authors :)
Super review PorshaJo!

message 8: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Terrific review, PorshaJo, I know of this author but have never read anything by them. So glad you enjoyed!

PorshaJo Lucy wrote: "It's so exciting to find brilliant new authors :)
Super review PorshaJo!"

Thanks Lucy! I know. It's like an Xmas present for adults. Ha!

PorshaJo Cheri wrote: "Terrific review, PorshaJo, I know of this author but have never read anything by them. So glad you enjoyed!"

Thanks Cheri! It's refreshing to find a new voice and this is one author I never heard of. I'm looking forward to reading more by her now.

message 11: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Amazing reivew PorshaJo!

PorshaJo Holly wrote: "Amazing reivew PorshaJo!"

Thanks Holly!

message 13: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review!!! :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Fantastic review sweets 😊💕🌸

PorshaJo Deanna wrote: "Great review!!! :)"

Thanks Deanna!

PorshaJo Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Fantastic review sweets 😊💕🌸"

Thanks so much Melissa!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin You’re welcome 😊💕🌸

message 18: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Wonderful review, PorshaJo!

message 19: by JanB (new)

JanB PorshaJo, This isn't a book that was on my radar so thanks for bringing it to my attention. I do like short stories that are connected to form a bigger picture. We can all relate to having too many books....😊

PorshaJo Meredith wrote: "Wonderful review, PorshaJo!"

Thank you Meredith!

message 21: by PorshaJo (last edited Feb 25, 2019 06:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

PorshaJo JanB wrote: "PorshaJo, This isn't a book that was on my radar so thanks for bringing it to my attention. I do like short stories that are connected to form a bigger picture. We can all relate to having too many..."

I thought this was an interesting book. And I like short stories that are connected and happy to hear you do too. Hope you get a chance to check this one out. Its always nice to take a break too from current releases.

message 22: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Lovely personal story and review, PorshaJo!

message 23: by Vivien (new)

Vivien Wessels GR certainly broadens the horizons in the choice of books of new writers and previously undiscovered writers

message 24: by Brandice (new)

Brandice Great review, PorshaJo! I enjoy Goodreads for the same reason :)

PorshaJo Paula wrote: "Lovely personal story and review, PorshaJo!"

Thank you Paula!

PorshaJo Vivien wrote: "GR certainly broadens the horizons in the choice of books of new writers and previously undiscovered writers"

It does Vivien. I swear I somtimes spend more time on GR than actally reading. Ha! But Ive found some wonderful authors during that time.

PorshaJo Brandice wrote: "Great review, PorshaJo! I enjoy Goodreads for the same reason :)"

Thanks Brandice! I sometimes wonder how I decided what to read before GR. Glad you do the same with this site.

message 28: by Dana (new)

Dana I haven’t heard of this one, PorshaJo. Thanks for sharing this great review!

PorshaJo Dana wrote: "I haven’t heard of this one, PorshaJo. Thanks for sharing this great review!"

Thanks Dana! It's always fun to find different, unique books.