C.G. Drews's Reviews > Ultimatum

Ultimatum by K.M. Walton

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2017, young-adult, ya-male-narrators

SO I ADMIT...I'm kind of trash for brother stories. They always get me in the feels. And Vance and Oscar are pretty much horrible little buckets trying to lowkey glare each other to death the whole time, I STILL ENJOYED IT. It lacked a bit, just in terms of what it could have been? But like BROTHER BOOKS.

Also I still have 0% a clue what's going on with the covers. They don't play paper-scissors-rock and the cover mostly just looks like the designer fell asleep and put it together with their elbow. BUT HEY. It is yellow. And I don't know if any of you are on #bookstagram but hella yes to needing yellow books for rainbow arrays. #CaitHasPriorities #CaitIsAShallowFishPleaseForgiveHerLaterOn

L I K E S
• Like I saaaaid: BROTHERS. <3
• I really loved the contrast of Oscar being musical, sweet, shy, and an artist VS how Vance is a jock, partier, and general piece of sharp snark. They do not get along in their childhood, but the character development is A+.
• I also really liked the psychology behind the book!! Like Vance is here, emulating his horrible alcoholic father (who he worships) by drinking and getting into trouble and just trying to be "cool"...and Oscar is like 0% tolerant of it. But just GAH. It breaks my heart because Vance did just want to be loved, and he went about it in all the wrong ways. And just how the book showed people's reactions to circumstances was super interesting and really well done.
• And then Oscar is just like alienated by his own family because he's "different"...being quiet and serious. Literally no one cares about him. Poor little smudge.
• I liked the past vs present telling of the story too! Vance's POV is in the past and Oscar's is in the present.
• DID I MENTION I LOVE THE BROTHERS.
• It was kind of unputdownable <-- omg this is actually a WORD, wow
• And the ending was just !!!!!

D I S L I K E S
It so so SO could've been deeper. Like most of the time we just smudged the surface. I wanted MORE. I particularly wanted more from Vance, because he was really complex but I wanted to see like doubt in his character more? He doubted at the end about worshiping his dad so much, but I think that should've been threaded through the whole time.
And Oscar was just a tad bit TOO introspective. Like most of the time when you withdraw from life, you don't really know it so much?? He seemed to aware of his own feelings/thoughts, which is kind of unusual for being a teen....beeeecause I would know, mate-o.
Oh, hello unnecessary romance. I mean, it WASN'T a romance, but it was dumb and shallow and just diiiidn't belong. The story is about family, grief, and death....I MEAN C'MON. YA DOESN'T HAVE TO HAVE ROMANCE EVERYWHERE DANGIT.
Sometimes the dialogue felt a bit unrealistic. Like so many exclamation marks? And the dad...IDK, his dialogue just seemed off.
And so so much telling vs showing. But I still liked the style a lot, it's just like, cutting back to Oscar's self-awareness: I would've liked to just have SEEN his actions and made the conclusions for myself. But Oscar like outlined all his problems for us, his isolation and depression etc. I would've just liked to read about his actions and made thoughts for myself. Because I need to use my brain at least 3 times a year or whatever, keep it flexible.

ALL IN ALL: I liked it!! I really did! It wasn't a "perfect" book, but it was sweet and SUPER SAD and I thought it perfectly captured the emotions of death and loss. Like these two kids are literally watching their dad die in a coma and like...the fact that there are tears and sad smol boys and broken smol hearts just = yes this is a meeee book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ultimatum.

February 6, 2017 – Shelved
February 6, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
August 1, 2017 – Started Reading
August 1, 2017 –
page 43
13.44% "I have an intense love for brother-books. PLS LET THIS BE GOOD. (Seriously thoooough...I haven't had an excellent read in weeks.)"
August 2, 2017 –
page 176
55.0% "Vance kind of needs a hug and also A SMACK IN THE FACE."
August 2, 2017 –
page 208
65.0% "Brothers: *HAVE A MOMENT*
Brother 1: ew no that didn't happen
Brother 2: *never makes eye contact again*"
August 2, 2017 – Shelved as: contemporary