Jack's Reviews > The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution

The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins

bookshelves: favorite-nonfiction, science, evolution

This book was a pure delight to read, I smiled all the way through it. Unlike Dawkins's other books that try to promote a certain way of looking at evolution or a book that just takes the fact of evolution for granted, this book goes step by step through the actual evidence for evolution and how we know it's a fact, as secure as any fact in science. The result is pure gold. Prof. Dawkins loves his field of study and loves talking about it, his passion runs through the entirety of the book. And the book itself is a fairly easy read. Dawkins takes you on a stroll through a number of different fields of science, from botany to geology, from chemistry to paleontology (and especially BIOLOGY duh), telling you wonderful stories about his own experiences in science along with presenting you with the straight facts of the matter, as every good teacher does. I was sad to close this book because I was enjoying it so much. The book could have easily been twice as long, shoot four times as long given the amount of research being down now on evolution! I'm majoring in evolutionary biology and I'm sure I'm going to treasure this book not only through my academic career because of the meat of the book and the things I learned from it, but also because of the sheer joy and sense of wonder that radiates off every page. I didn't expect to like this book this much!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Greatest Show on Earth.