Joseph Sverker's Reviews > Reinventing the Sacred: A New View of Science, Reason, and Religion

Reinventing the Sacred by Stuart A. Kauffman

One has to admire his intension, to widen the scope of the scientific mind and to join the religious traditions together with themselves and the atheists to accept a vewi of God as nature's creativity. The book is very scholarly written and it is very interesting to learn about evolution from his perspective. The most convincing argument in the book is that not everyting is reducable to physics. I think it will be difficult to argue against him here. What opens up then, according to Kaufmann, is that not everything is predicable, some things are free. He shows this in a very interesting way in the chapter on the mind. He is able to show the freedom of the free will, but the question is if he is able to save the "will" though. Yes, the mind might be quantum "controlled", but how is it controlled, by whom?

One weakness is his aim to reinvent the sacred, the whole point of the book. He says that he writes against fundamentalist and that he is close to some jesuites in the view of God. Yet, I don't think he can be because if I understand him correctly, he wants to say that nature's creativity is enough to inspire reverance - but to say that is to do what all muslims would call shirk. Shirk is the greatest sin of all, namely to put something on the level of God. This is really the greatest sin in judaism and Christianity as well. So even if his suggestion is admirable, and I really like the idea to see human in a more holistic light, I am pretty sure that it will be difficult to gather people around - and we are not just talking about the fundamentalists.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reinventing the Sacred.