orangerful's Reviews > Catching a Storyfish

Catching a Storyfish by Janice N. Harrington

Feb 18, 2017

bookshelves: poetry, books-in-verse, juvenile_fiction, middle-school, realistic_fiction

I don't know why I always shy away from books written in verse. I don't consider myself a fan of poetry so I suppose the idea of reading a story in that format doesn't appeal to me. Yet the few times I have taken a chance, I have been very impressed. This is one of those times.

The short lines of verse are more powerful than any prose paragraph, capturing Katharen's emotions in a way that a normal sentence might not.

This is a beautiful story about a girl who moves from Alabama to a town further north, where she hides her talent for telling stories after the other kids mock her accent. She finds solace with her grandfather, hanging out with him and talking about fishing - well, she thinks he is talking about fishing, but he is giving her little life lessons.

Great story for middle grade readers (4th grade and up) and this actually might be a good pick for someone reading out loud to a classroom of students.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching a Storyfish.

February 6, 2017 – Shelved
February 6, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
February 14, 2017 – Started Reading
February 14, 2017 –
page 91
40.63% "I don't know why I resist novels in verse - they actually tend to have a very nice flow and convey more emotions than just regular prose. I'm already pulled into this simple story of Keet and her family adjusting to life in a new town."
February 18, 2017 – Shelved as: poetry