Thomas's Reviews > Down and Out in Kathmandu

Down and Out in Kathmandu by Jennifer S. Alderson

bookshelves: asian-crime, giveaways

The blurb describes this book as an adventure by Zelda Richardson, a volunteer teacher in Nepal. She is not trained as a teacher, having quit her job in a computer company in Seattle. The book is told from the perspective of 3 people, Zelda, Ian, an Australian who has come to Nepal to use recreational drugs, and Tommy, a Canadian who smuggles diamonds.
Pros-- The author clearly has spent time in Nepal, describing in vivid detail the sights, sounds and smells unfamiliar to an American.
Quotes:
Exiting the airport--"As the doors slid open, her nasal cavities were assaulted by a wave of feces, unknown spices, and body odor."
Traffic--"Insane motorcyclists, belching buses, three wheeled breadboxes, kamikaze bicycles and brightly dressed woman competed with her cab for room."
Walking in Kathmandu--"By the time she had reached her first major turn, Zelda had stepped in too many piles of cow,goat, dog and human shit to count."
Cons-- There is too much time spent on describing Ian's buying and smoking marijuana(a whole chapter) and then another chapter on buying and smoking hashish. The author probably wanted to establish the fact that Ian was prone to making stupid decisions.

The plot resolves all the various threads satisfactorily. I rate it 3.5 out of 5 stars(rounded up to 4)
Thanks to the author for sending me this ebook.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Down and Out in Kathmandu.

February 6, 2017 – Started Reading
February 6, 2017 – Shelved
February 9, 2017 –
page 125
February 11, 2017 – Shelved as: asian-crime
February 11, 2017 – Shelved as: giveaways
February 11, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer S. Alderson Thank you, Thomas for choosing to review Down and Out in Kathmandu for Mystery Thriller Week! I really appreciate knowing what worked and didn't work for you. I'm especially glad to see that you found the plot threads resolved satisfactorily. Have a wonderful week.

Thomas You're Welcome

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy jeeze I wish someone/authors would send ME a book or two. lol

Thomas The author sent me this ebook as part of a Mystery Week Challenge, which is still going on. You could sign up. See.
You must do a review.