Lucía Díaz's Reviews > Juana & Lucas

Juana & Lucas by Juana Medina

U 50x66

bookshelves: wide-reading-columbia-38-2601

"...my life is pretty fantastic and English will do nothing but ruin it” (p. 32). When Juana, a school girl from Bogotá, faces the challenge of the having to learn "the English" she is absolutely opposed. The book has quite a bit of text but the colorful drawings and the way the letters are placed make it a fun read.

One thing I particularly like about this book is that it has a Latina protagonist. Although the book is primarily an English narration by Juana, some Spanish is incorporated into the book, for example, when Juana sits next to her friend Juli on the bus she says: “Sitting with Juli is always good because we have mucho to talk about” (p.g 11). This is a fun way to introduce kids to Spanish and broaden their cultural horizons.

I also find that the book is quite relatable for kids in the process of learning English. Growing up in Puerto Rico and having to learn English at a young age was as frustrating for me as it was for Juana. I believe that reading this book would have helped my learning process, it would have encouraged me to know that other kids go through the same struggles. Not only that but it would have made an excellent reading exercise.

I’m giving the book 4 stars because the ending was a bit rushed for my taste. I also found the title a bit misleading as there was hardly any Lucas in the book. Despite that, I would still recommend it if you want your child or students to get a look into another culture and I especially recommend reading it to children that are learning English as it will provide relatable content.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juana & Lucas.

Started Reading
February 5, 2017 – Finished Reading
February 6, 2017 – Shelved
February 6, 2017 – Shelved as: wide-reading-columbia-38-2601

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Katie Paciga You said, "I believe that reading this book would have helped my learning process, it would have encouraged me to know that other kids go through the same struggles" this is the essential function of narrative text: it helps readers see mirrors of their own realities, windows of others', and doors to cross into another reality! Later this semester we'll read Rudine Sims Bishop's work about this...you'll connect, I'm sure, given this review.