Els's Reviews > The Reluctant Godfather

The Reluctant Godfather by Allison Tebo

bookshelves: childhood-favorite, but-that-ain-t-mean-its-predictable, i-knew-it, giveaway-win, shockingly-beloved
Read 2 times. Last read January 12, 2018.

Ahem. Seneca just read a fairy-tale retelling. Yikes.

No really- I had my reasons. It was written by a friend, see? And I wanted to see what it was about....

And HERE is my first gush after reading the book.

"When I started to read this book, I assumed it would be a cute little fairy-tale retelling, and that I would probably give it four stars and think of it as three- the author's a friend of mine and I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings. For one, I hate fairy tales. Cinderella tends to bore me. And so I read this mainly to satisfy all my clamoring friends.

They clamored for a reason.

If I could give this 10,000,000 stars, I WOULD!!! Okay, perhaps not quite. there were two typos that bothered my grammatical soul deeply. So maybe 9,999,999 stars. But for a fairy-tale- A FAIRY-TALE!!!- to capture my heart like this- to have me rolling in laughter- guessing at the ending- sniffling because it was over- this is impossible. And The Reluctant Godfather broke that.

This is the most charming, sparkling, witty book I have read in ages. There was nothing missing, nothing too much. Instead there were endearing characters, hilarious quips, and a thought-provoking ending. I would do a plot synopsis- but everyone knows the story of Cinderella and anything I said would spoil this story.

So just read it.

(to be edited once I stop giggling and get my thoughts organized!)
THIS BOOK IS THE BEST!!!!!!"

Well THAT was rather gushy and embarrassing. So here is my- ahem, professional review. Ahem.

What I loved-
NONONONONO!!!!!!! Don't take me here again!! I'll turn into a gushy fangirl!!!
No, seriously- *takes deep breath and puts on stern face*
-the characters. All of them were full, interesting, and worth hanging out with. Yes, that includes the De Ghents. I would love to do some pranking.
-The QUOTES!!! Okay, all of it was so witty I just want to start talking in TRG-ish. It's my new language. It's- neat.
-It was HILARIOUS!!! And funny books always steal my heart.
-The epilogue/ author's note. Allison---- beautiful.

What I disliked-
-For the first two pages every piece of dialogue is "said+adverb," which I, a snobby verb-adorer, find choppy and boring, as well as comitting the horrifying crime of leaving out all the beautiful verbs out there for the snatching. This did stop after the first couple pages- or maybe I was just so caught up in the awesomenessness of the story to notice.
Both are extremely credible possibilities.
-the two typos mentioned above. URGH...
-The retelling of a retelling. Yes, that sounded confusing. You could see that some of this was based off of Disney's Cinderella, which was rather obnoxious, to me personally. she does NOT need to wear a big, puffy, pale blue dress, her mother's dress does NOT have to be pink and torn up by her stepsisters, her carriage does NOT have to be a pumpkin (what about a watermelon carriage??? Who's leaving out the watermelons???), Her coachmen don't have to be mice (although there was some good usage of their micey-ness!) and, in my opinion, the horses should have been GRASSHOPPERS, not birds. Inside joke. Ahem.
- Burndee was too obvious sometimes. Hey, you DO NOT NAME YOUR BAKERY "MAGIC PUMPKIN BAKERY"!!! You just- don't.

But none of that was big enough for me to deduct a star. Sure, I liked it less on the re-read, but first impressions are what really count. And let's just say that I LOVED it!!!

Wait- I'm not turning into Miss Gushy again, am I??? SAVE ME!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reluctant Godfather.

Quotes Els Liked

Allison Tebo
“What other lost soul has the misfortune to have you as their fairy godfather?”

Allison Tebo
“Neat' was the highest superlative possible from Burndee and it was not a word that he often used...unless he was describing something he had done. 'Neat'--without even 'very' or 'really' attached to it--was extremely high praise from Burndee.”

Allison Tebo
“You humans certainly have your hearts set on being happy, don’t you?”

Allison Tebo
“My first choice would be to give you more god children, but that would be far too cruel a thing to do—to them.”
Allison Tebo, The Reluctant Godfather: A retelling of Cinderella

Allison Tebo
“I’m good, but I’m not that good. Unless we steal a baby—” Colin”
Allison Tebo, The Reluctant Godfather: A retelling of Cinderella

February 6, 2017 – Shelved
February 6, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 31, 2017 – Started Reading
March 31, 2017 –
page 0
0.0% "MWAHAHAHA!!!!!
Finally got my grubby paws on a copy of this. But at the same time.... why didn't I get a complimentary copy earlier? All my friends did.....
*looks suspicious*
Jk, jk, No hard feelings, Allison!!!!
And I LOVE the cover!"
March 25, 2018 – Shelved as: but-that-ain-t-mean-its-predictable
March 25, 2018 – Shelved as: i-knew-it
March 25, 2018 – Shelved as: giveaway-win
March 25, 2018 – Shelved as: shockingly-beloved

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

Katie  Hanna Great stuff. <3

message 2: by Allison (new) - added it

Allison Tebo MIND. IS. BLOWN. MIND IS. BLOWN....

Seneca - You have no idea - you're review, this review . . . 'wrings hands' I just cannot describe how your words have touched me - thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

i will have to say more when I get my thoughts organized!!!

message 3: by Lydia (new) - added it

Lydia Howe This sounds like an utterly fantastic book! WAY TO GO, Alli!!!

message 4: by Allison (new) - added it

Allison Tebo Awwwww - THANK YOU, LYDIA!! 'whimpers and covers face' I just can't even process this....

message 5: by Lydia (new) - added it

Lydia Howe Even though I haven't read the book, I'm not surprised everyone loves it so much. You're a great writer, Allison!

Sarah Grace Grzy Awesome review!!! :D

message 7: by Els (new) - rated it 5 stars

Els I'll post a more critical review when I have time... this is my first exuberant spout.

message 8: by Els (new) - rated it 5 stars

Els NOW I am critical. *tries to look stern*
*burst out giggling because I really truly like the book too much to do that*
XD

Katie  Hanna Yeah . . . but since so many other things were switched up, plot-wise, I feel like it was actually a good thing that Allison kept a few of the familiar elements (mice, pumpkin, blue dress, etc.) Without that, I think I would've been like, "er . . . hello . . . this ISN'T CINDERELLA AT ALL."

message 10: by Els (new) - rated it 5 stars

Els Jessica wrote: "Yeah . . . but since so many other things were switched up, plot-wise, I feel like it was actually a good thing that Allison kept a few of the familiar elements (mice, pumpkin, blue dress, etc.) Wi..."

It's only my little thing. I'm sure most people appreciated it.

Katie  Hanna Seneca wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Yeah . . . but since so many other things were switched up, plot-wise, I feel like it was actually a good thing that Allison kept a few of the familiar elements (mice, pumpkin, blue..."

Sure! And I know some Cinderella retellings do dispense with the mice and the pumpkin and all that entirely . . . which is fine :-) I just liked that little element of continuity because it helped me avoid ENTIRELY blowing my mind over the fact that Cinderella actually married the fairy and not the Prince. :-) (My mind was still kind of blown anyways, though.)

message 12: by Els (new) - rated it 5 stars

Els Jessica wrote: "Seneca wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Yeah . . . but since so many other things were switched up, plot-wise, I feel like it was actually a good thing that Allison kept a few of the familiar elements (mice..."
HEY!!! SPOILERS, PLEASE!!!

XD

To be honest, I don't really like fairy-tales, and Disney kinda bothers me.... so I'm very much a minority!

Katie  Hanna Seneca wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Seneca wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Yeah . . . but since so many other things were switched up, plot-wise, I feel like it was actually a good thing that Allison kept a few of the familia..."

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh . . . other people talked about that in their reviews already, so . . .

I gotcha! Just curious: How would you feel about non-magical fairy tale retellings in general? (You know, where it's the same basic plot elements but no magic.) Because I'm thinking of writing some.

message 14: by Els (new) - rated it 5 stars

Els Jessica wrote: "Seneca wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Seneca wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Yeah . . . but since so many other things were switched up, plot-wise, I feel like it was actually a good thing that Allison kept a few..."

I don't know. Might be fun. Honestly, I think the whole genre is swamped... But if you have an idea, do it!

Katie  Hanna Seneca wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Seneca wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Seneca wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Yeah . . . but since so many other things were switched up, plot-wise, I feel like it was actually a good thing that Al..."

Well, I want to win the Rooglewood Press contest this summer & get published, and to win the contest you need to write a fairy tale retelling . . . :-) I really hope they pick a good fairy tale, one that I can make a cool story out of. If they pick Red Riding Hood I shall be up a creek.

message 16: by Els (new) - rated it 5 stars

Els RRH would be fun!!!

How do you enter?

Katie  Hanna Seneca wrote: "RRH would be fun!!!

How do you enter?"

It would be fun, you're right . . . I'd just have to think really hard to come up with a good setting and characters.

I've never done it before; but I think you wait for them to announce the contest and then submit a story by the deadline? (They announce it June 1st.)

message 18: by Els (new) - rated it 5 stars

Els Cool! I just googled them, and that actually sounds fun.

Katie  Hanna Seneca wrote: "Cool! I just googled them, and that actually sounds fun."

You should enter, too! Just because you don't like Disney doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to write a smashing fairy tale retelling . . . it would actually give you an advantage, because these people really like unique, fresh takes on the original story :-)

message 20: by Els (new) - rated it 5 stars

Els Out of curiosity- when did they announce which fairy tale they were doing?

Katie  Hanna Seneca wrote: "Out of curiosity- when did they announce which fairy tale they were doing?"

A couple of weeks ago? Snow White!!! (YAY.) Here's a link to their Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/64220...