Kristin Myrtle 's Reviews > My Sweet Audrina

My Sweet Audrina by V.C. Andrews

Jul 26, 2011

bookshelves: i-own-it, read-in-2011, favorites, best-of-2011, troubled-women
Read from September 09 to 13, 2011

Now this is a fucking story! And sooooo elegantly written. V.C. Andrews (and this is the real V.C. Andrews, not some second rate ghost-writer, writing? riding her coattails) had enormous talent. Holy crap can she weave a tangled web! This is the story of Audrina Adare a young girl with memories like "swiss cheese." A young girl haunted by the ever-present spectre of her deceased older sister, also named Audrina. This is pure soap opera melodrama and this is Andrews' niche, her expertise. She excels and enchants, and this story has everything you could want. A legless woman? You got it! A creepy house with locked doors and musty rooms full of forgotten secrets? Done! A spinster aunt with a broken heart and a hidden past? Here too! Electro-Shock Therapy? You betcha. Forbidden love? Gang rape? Suicide? A woman in a coma? A sexy, trashy cousin with brittle bones and a chip on her shoulder? Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes! That would be Vera.

Oh Vera, dear dear Vera. You are the embodiment of the girl we love to hate. A girl so prevalent in literature and movies and television and you dear, dear Vera are the archetype. I wish Vera had her own novel!! She is soooo much more interesting than boring, vanilla, milquetoast Audrina. Sure she has her weird memory thing. And those disturbing recurring rape nightmares of hers are peculiar. And ya, every night her father rocks her, against her will, in her dead sister's old rocking chair, but VERA?! Vera drove a man to suicide, Vera can be any age. 12? 20? She can pull it off. She is a master manipulator. She dresses provocatively and says whatever comes to mind. She's fearless and brutal and yet so so vulnerable. You see, she has this brittle bone disease, she's so delicate and fragile that if you bump her or shove her, she will fall and break her leg or her rib, or an arm. She breaks her leg, like 4 times in this book! She's so nasty and desperate and dirty and shameful and AMAZING! Vera ran away to the big city and became a nurse. Vera plotted and planned her revenge on the Adare's from day one. Vera is a force of nature! Vera saved this book. Vera, I love you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sweet Audrina.

09/10/2011 page 61
09/10/2011 page 101
25.0% "such excellent trash ☺"
02/06/2016 marked as: read
show 5 hidden updates…

message 1: by Manny (new)

Manny Well, I'm not sure I'll read it, but I love the review. I particularly like the idea of a femme fatale with brittle bones. You're right, that's imaginative!

message 2: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Those books used to be good, well until like you say she went and died and the family loved the money so hired a new V.C. Andrews !

message 3: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue It was fun a few years ago I got the books for my daughter and I reread them. Needless to say she is now a fan but after she wanted some of the newer ones I had to give her the bad news!

message 4: by Alissa (new) - added it

Alissa Cook Thanks for this review. I wish more people would take the time to write such thorough reviews. I have a library of more than 700 novels that I have yet to read, and I'm constantly buying more and more books from the Salvation Army thrift store that's right up the road. Because all the books I own are listed in my "to-read" category, I am constantly scanning books at the thrift store to #1 see if I already own them or not and #2 to read the already standing reviews to decide whether I want to buy it or not. My point is, your review of this novel earned the Salvation Army an extra $1.50 today. I read your review and could not pass on buying this one. I don't know how long it will be before I read it, but when that time comes, I'm sure I'll enjoy it! THANKS AGAIN! :-)

Kristin Myrtle Thanks for the kind words Alissa. I hope you get to read it soon cause it's really is a fantastic book :)

Nadia I like your review- it literally made me LOL. I think Vera should have her own novel top, but that Audrina is fascinating! She's a character more girls can relate to than Vera (well, let's hope, right?) I learn a great deal about writing minor characters from the writer, such as Audrina's mom and aunt...their ways and their unique traits. Audrina's story is one of longing and despair. Her fragmented memory and the brilliantly revealed twist is enthralling! They made me read the book for the second time about ten years later. I'm sure one day I'll read it again, too.

Kristin Myrtle Omg Nadia thank you for your comments... I just saw it for the first time today :)

Angela The original VC Andrews stories were the best. I loved reading them as a young adult. After she died, the stories were not the same.
Not long ago I read an article about the life of VC Andrews and the sadness of her real life somewhat reflected in her stories.
She is one of my favourite authors of all time.

Carol I just started this book today and I'm already captivated. VC is my guilty pleasure and I too like Vera so far