Dawn's Reviews > The Princess Diaries

The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot

Mar 30, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: own-it, ya

I never got around to reading this when I was the protagonist Mia's age, and since the book and movie series became so popular, I recently decided to take a trip back to childhood and finally read this book. It was a quick read, thankfully, but I didn't find it nearly as endearing as the movie version (which is substantially different from the novel). The book seemed awfully light on plot and substance. Character development was minimal, and as a result, most of the characters (including Mia) weren't as likable or relatable as they could have been. Mia's melodrama became tiresome, as did her best friend's ego.

The story continues with the rest of the series, so it probably improves, but the first book didn't make me eager to read the second. This may be my age talking, but I suspect I wouldn't have been interested as a young teen either. Overall, I was underwhelmed. The movie was touching, but the book...not as much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princess Diaries.

Started Reading
February 1, 2008 – Finished Reading
March 30, 2008 – Shelved
March 30, 2008 – Shelved as: own-it
March 30, 2008 – Shelved as: ya

Badwolf I totally agree. Book was rather dumb, film was nice and funny.

Christy I agree with you. Loved the movie so much more and am glad that I saw it before I read this book. I won't be finishing the series.

Danielle Finley I finished the series and I hate the movies!!!!!!!!!

Danielle Finley I finished the series and I hate the movies!!!!!!!!!

message 5: by Kimber (new) - added it

Kimber The movies was based off of the books, the books were not based off of the movies. You probably knew that, but you're acting like Meg wrote trash and the directors made a brilliant movie, THAT WAS BASED OFF OF HER "TRASHY" BOOK.

message 6: by Naborsa (new)

Naborsa Banina You’ve written nice post, I am gonna bookmark this page, thanks for info. I actually appreciate your own position and I will be sure to come back here.his is a really good post. Must admit that you are among the best bloggers I have read. Thanks for posting this informative article. You may havce a lot of obat aborsi and jual obat aborsi